• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giovanni Fabbro
    replied
    Originally posted by sebastianlacuesta View Post

3dfx
    With full open source support.
    Lotta good it did them. What have they been doing lately?

Leave a comment:

• Giovanni Fabbro
    replied
    Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
    I actually think this is nice. Hopefully more devs will now target Linux since it runs on Windows anyway (no need for Windows builds anymore). Running Linux Apps with a GUI on Windows is pretty sweet, I'm sure this will bring more people to FOSS tools.
    Windows 10 goes EOL in 5 years. What will be the replacement? Perhaps Microsoft Winux?*

*I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a trademark on WinUX because they like using the term "User Experiences".

Leave a comment:

• Giovanni Fabbro
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post
    MS is starting to be aware of Proton (with everything that is inside of it). Do they want developers to use dx under linux too and force the rest of linux community so adopt dx due to these developers? its still a wonder for me why devs use dx12 instead of vulkan these days since dx12 is available only on w10 and graphic cards that support it are fewer than the ones that support vulkan
    If game developers are already primarily targeting Windows (let's be honest here: most gamers are using Windows 10 now) and Xbox, adding DX support for Linux just means porting game code is easier.

Leave a comment:

• Giovanni Fabbro
    replied
    Originally posted by omer666 View Post
    ...Which leaves AMD as the only option for Open Source and Linux enthusiasts.
    As a matter of fact, between Intel's security deficient CPUs and Nvidia's expensive RTX line-up, I would avoid both even if I was running Win10.
    AMD processors have security holes too. So does ARM. They all do, because they use fake "AI" tricks to predict what you want and prefetch it before offering it up. It's how modern chips are done. They're not made with raw processing power in mind anymore. The Broadcom SoC's in the Raspberry Pi don't have branch prediction, so they're largely immune to the majority of security threats affecting the other chips. But of course they're terribly slow too. Security and performance are at opposite ends of the pole.

Also, if you're really that concerned with security, Windows 10 wouldn't be an ideal operating system to use, so your statement is moot.

Leave a comment:

• mike456
    replied
    yea like me, lazy to dual boot. when shall this work? steam games would count as linux though?

Leave a comment:

• 9Strike
    replied
    I actually think this is nice. Hopefully more devs will now target Linux since it runs on Windows anyway (no need for Windows builds anymore). Running Linux Apps with a GUI on Windows is pretty sweet, I'm sure this will bring more people to FOSS tools.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    MS is starting to be aware of Proton (with everything that is inside of it). Do they want developers to use dx under linux too and force the rest of linux community so adopt dx due to these developers? its still a wonder for me why devs use dx12 instead of vulkan these days since dx12 is available only on w10 and graphic cards that support it are fewer than the ones that support vulkan

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I don't imagine that having a phd hanging on a wall ever helped anyone get a home/office desktop video card working. Probably more of a detriment.
    Especially if the PhD is in philosophy but if it doesn't work at least you can be philosophical about it.

Leave a comment:

• omer666
    replied
    ...Which leaves AMD as the only option for Open Source and Linux enthusiasts.
    As a matter of fact, between Intel's security deficient CPUs and Nvidia's expensive RTX line-up, I would avoid both even if I was running Win10.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Can you remember who was the first GPU maker to offer Linux support that didn't require a PhD to use?
    I don't imagine that having a phd hanging on a wall ever helped anyone get a home/office desktop video card working. Probably more of a detriment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X