Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HenryM
    replied
    I game almost exclusively on linux. basically I only use windows for the odd test and to try "Valorant" recently (in it's current state, CSGO is vastly more enjoyable)

I'm not light on CSGO either. in under 3 years steam reports I had it open for almost 3800 hours, though stat tracking says "only" about 2100 hours were actually spent in-server. in that time I managed to get 453,000 kills... I play a lot of deathmatch.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    The only one. This is the best open-source control panel for GPUs so far.
    in my experience, radeon-profile is the nicest for GPU control. very convenient and with the daemon it works without needing higher privileges and it's more intuitive than MSI afterburner IMO

Leave a comment:

• flockmock
    replied
    Hello guys,
    I dont want to add another post to the amd/nvidia discussion, I think this is an important topic, but regarding to the low linux-percentage in steam:
    Nobody is talking about the peripherals. I think it is often too difficult to use a joystick, wheel, gamepad or some other controller in linux. If you want to use something other than keyboard or mouse, you will need to invest some time and effort to make it run smoothly. There are no predefined configurations. Often there is no plug and play like in windows.
    I tried it a few years ago, I´ve to admit, perhaps situation changed? But if you have installed Windows anyway on a second partition, why not avoid the hassle and use that (apart from the fact that your bad-karma-o-meter is rising up)?
    I think that is happening quite often....
    Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    Oh you nearly fooled me, saw 2 comments negative about me thought ohh several people coming at me but you just spam hatred.

1. you say you use linux almost exclusive then you say that you boot to gaming in windows. So either you play only once a month a day or so or your statement that you almost exclusively use linux is wrong. except your definition of almost is 51% of the time.

Nice that you know how many bugs I report, and that the number is 0, apparently Github alone must then by lying when it shows 98 "issues" created by me, the various other bugtrackers and newsgroups I posted of not even included. But you know it better, I am also not maintainer of a opensource software that at least some other people use.I did apparently not write some packages.

Even made a fork with current dependencies of gaminganywhere which allows to stream games as example from a windows pc to a linux pc, so that it can be packaged for nixos which I also did, I could go on but I stop here because according to you I must imagine that all anyway.
    I game a few hours a month. I use Linux over 300 hours a month. Do your math ... but I'm not sure you can. I mean when most people in the comments section here on Phoronix forums can't use logic and spew nonsense 95% of the time, it says a lot about their intellectual capabilities.

98 issues on github? Most crucial open source projects are not even hosted on github. The Linux kernel, glibc, GCC, Mozilla, Xorg, LibreOffice, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, ffmpeg etc. all have its own bugzillas. LMAO. Github.

You say Windows has no issues and you are ok with proprietary software but you wasted hundreds of hours solving Linux issues why are you then not using windows and shut up?
    Yes, there are no serious issues with Windows whatsoever. There are literally many thousands with Linux. If it triggers you so much, you probably need to go see a shrink because you deny reality and you also make other people shut up. That's lunacy plain and simple. That's a religion and I don't make Linux my religion. I just use it and see issues with it. I don't claim "it's good for gaming" because it's anything but.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    hate spitting...
    Oh you nearly fooled me, saw 2 comments negative about me thought ohh several people coming at me but you just spam hatred.

1. you say you use linux almost exclusive then you say that you boot to gaming in windows. So either you play only once a month a day or so or your statement that you almost exclusively use linux is wrong. except your definition of almost is 51% of the time.

Nice that you know how many bugs I report, and that the number is 0, apparently Github alone must then by lying when it shows 98 "issues" created by me, the various other bugtrackers and newsgroups I posted of not even included. But you know it better, I am also not maintainer of a opensource software that at least some other people use.I did apparently not write some packages.

Even made a fork with current dependencies of gaminganywhere which allows to stream games as example from a windows pc to a linux pc, so that it can be packaged for nixos which I also did, I could go on but I stop here because according to you I must imagine that all anyway.

You say Windows has no issues and you are ok with proprietary software but you wasted hundreds of hours solving Linux issues why are you then not using windows and shut up?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Why is this thread about AMD vs Nvidia 100%?

All this news is talking about linux vs windows gamers, the choice of the GPU is pretty seperated from that choice? The only thing this article mentioned is that most linux gamers use a rx480, which shows that there are a higher % of linux gamers use AMD GPUs than Windows users.

Apperently that FACT is to much and let some head explodes, because it can't be that other people make different decisions that the Nvidia Masterrace? WTF...
    You see Linux fanboys love to hate someone or something for the fact that as a gaming platform Linux sucks. The fanboys are under the impression that's a world conspiracy to prevent Linux from being a good gaming OS and NVIDIA is the worst offender as "OMG it does not offer Open Source drivers". The facts that Linux doesn't offer stable APIs, has horrible compatibility, there's no universal packaging format, it has numerous critical bugs and regressions all the time, has very bad, almost non-existing QA/QC, and numerous other problems doesn't really vibe with them. "It's anything but us".
    Last edited by tildearrow; 04 May 2020, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied

This is a Linux website, so usually you find here people that like Linux and don't like windows, if you are a Windows fanboy why come on this website?

Also most people use their PC not exclusively for gaming, so in the moments you don't game 99% of the people on this website at least hate the experience very much, therefor as long as the one games that they care about work in linux acceptable they are in linux. So the question which os is better "for gaming" is a complex one. Does it support more games, sure, does some make problems under linux you have to do some cli stuff or whatever to get them running sure. But is the OS in any other way 1000 times better than Windows, yes. Does gaming and drivers (amd) get better very fast, every year you have I don't know 20% more supported game (20% from all games) yes.

So is it ideal to play if you want to play hundreds of games or just happen to pick the ones that are not supported under linux or if you need some advanced hardware features? No, but it gets much better very fast, year after year, month after month, but show me the person that claims that gaming under linux with ignoring every second outside of games is better under linux.

The problem is maintaining windows is a nightmare put it on a lvm is not working means you need special extra hardware only for windows or have dualboot etc. So having no dualboot is a plus, having no extra hardware is a plus, therefor some accept the always getting smaller disadvantages of the liux gaming experience.

That people would say that gaming in Linux is better than windows seems to me a strawman, maybe 1 or 2 people said that but your claim is that most linuxer ore people on phoronix would claim that, and that's bullishit.
    Well, first of all, I've been using Linux almost exclusively since the late 90s. I boot into Windows only to play - it's the platform where I can do that with utmost comfort and ease.

Secondly, I'm among a few dozen people on Phoronix who actually help solve Linux bugs all the time for little people like you who does nothing.

Thirdly, understanding different OS'es advantages and shortcomings is not "being a fanboy" - it's being rational for fuck's sake.

But is the OS in any other way 1000 times better than Windows, yes
    It's nothing but lies. I've had exactly zero issues with Windows for the past 15 years. At the same time I've invested literally 300 hours into solving various Linux issues including bisecting and reporting kernel bugs.

with ignoring every second outside of games is better under linux.
    Again, lies.

The problem is maintaining windows is a nightmare
    Lies again.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 04 May 2020, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Why is this thread about AMD vs Nvidia 100%?

All this news is talking about linux vs windows gamers, the choice of the GPU is pretty seperated from that choice? The only thing this article mentioned is that most linux gamers use a rx480, which shows that there are a higher % of linux gamers use AMD GPUs than Windows users.

Apperently that FACT is to much and let some head explodes, because it can't be that other people make different decisions that the Nvidia Masterrace? WTF...

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Nice to see rational people here for a change who admit that Windows is miles better than Linux for gaming. Windows 10 LTSC is indeed an excellent, well-rounded OS. Too bad Microsoft doesn't allow home users to buy it but you still can easily download it from their website (legally btw) and just never activate it - you'll have to endure being unable to set desktop background but other than that, it's 100% functional.
    This is a Linux website, so usually you find here people that like Linux and don't like windows, if you are a Windows fanboy why come on this website?

Also most people use their PC not exclusively for gaming, so in the moments you don't game 99% of the people on this website at least hate the experience very much, therefor as long as the one games that they care about work in linux acceptable they are in linux. So the question which os is better "for gaming" is a complex one. Does it support more games, sure, does some make problems under linux you have to do some cli stuff or whatever to get them running sure. But is the OS in any other way 1000 times better than Windows, yes. Does gaming and drivers (amd) get better very fast, every year you have I don't know 20% more supported game (20% from all games) yes.

So is it ideal to play if you want to play hundreds of games or just happen to pick the ones that are not supported under linux or if you need some advanced hardware features? No, but it gets much better very fast, year after year, month after month, but show me the person that claims that gaming under linux with ignoring every second outside of games is better under linux.

The problem is maintaining windows is a nightmare put it on a lvm is not working means you need special extra hardware only for windows or have dualboot etc. So having no dualboot is a plus, having no extra hardware is a plus, therefor some accept the always getting smaller disadvantages of the liux gaming experience.

That people would say that gaming in Linux is better than windows seems to me a strawman, maybe 1 or 2 people said that but your claim is that most linuxer ore people on phoronix would claim that, and that's bullishit.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

FFmpeg? What do you use for FFmpeg?!
    I never knew you could do that?

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    You forgot the part where all the hardware has to support this and work in harmony. General run of the mill systems probably aren't going to have a BIOS and Motherboard capable of IOMMU or it may have a buggy implementation. Gaming laptops are even less likely to support this and the success rate is far less.

GPU pass-through is pretty much limited to custom built gaming systems where the user carefully selected and purchased the hardware in their desktop PC build to support this functionality in mind.

Proton and Wine are a lot more accessible to people as it works on far more hardware.
    Actually, I did PCI passthrough on quite a few desktop and servers but mostly for GPU compute. Most desktops had "gaming" motherboards from brand names (mostly Asus). I still have to come across a motherboard that had CPU virtualization support but IOMMU issues that would prevent a 1 GPU passthrough to 1 VM.
    Of course, if you want to pass multiple GPU's to different VM's...

I have not tried this on a laptop with dual GPU and that would probably be nontrivial. It sure sounds like a fun project but its not my cup of tea.

Either way, I'm not trying to suggest it is trivial [in the sense of clicking a button] and I get that wine/proton has come a long way.
    I was just wondering how much of the windows share were windows VM's - based on the responses not that many - and responded to a response that dual-boot is simper - I'm really not sure about that with recent HW [but dual boot certainly better known and documented].
    Last edited by mppix; 04 May 2020, 03:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X