FreeBSD Is Off To A Solid Start For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    If you can't understand irony, it's not my fault I'm afraid. As I said you get ridiculous fanboys everywhere, in most cases people would either simply shrug and ignore them, or have fun with them - because that's what you seem to have missed in my posts you so diligently researched: I was having fun with the trolls, I was expecting them so that I could have a good laugh.

So to answer your question where to draw the line: it's simple. You draw the line where a community (or rather a significant percentage of its members) take trolling, zealotry or simply divergence of opinions as an existential threat to be immediately eradicated rather than laughed at or ignored. This thread is a perfect example. Somebody says why did people contribute a total of $57K towards FreeBSD when they "should" have given it to Linux instead (just because the poster says so). Had it been directed at Linux, most people would either tell him he's dumb and move on, or ignore it, but the FreeBSDistas immediately went into total frenzy. As I already mentioned I often read FreeBSD forums, partly to stay informed, partly for the fun because you really don't find that anywhere else. Some recent examples come to mind (I'm too lazy to dig them up, use the search function on forums.freebsd.org to find them):
    You don't like fanboys and trolls? Then do not behave like one to start with. Search results I posted show you behaving exactly in ways you are accusing BSD users of! Fanboyism (be it towards systemd, Ubuntu, Firefox or whatever) and trolling (oh the haters havent still shown up?)

Someone says that he would be interested in trying FreeBSD but his workflow is heavily dependent on Docker; is there Docker or something compatible for FreeBSD?
    Answer (essentially):
    - We don't want stinkin' Docker, just GTFO
    - Yeah, FreeBSD rulez
    - Oh I so wish Docker went out of business..
    Instead of incessant bitching and ranting, provide specific examples. I don't seem to visit places in Net you seem to. Without examples, it's just your prejudiced ranting, nothing more.

Someone says that a Phoronix benchmark shows Linux beating FreeBSD
    Answer (essentially):
    - Ignore Phoronix, anyone using Linux is not a reliable source of information
    The fuck?

Someone says that io_uring shows great promise on Linux, could liburing be ported to FreeBSD?
    Answer (essentially, and instead of politely pointing out that the library alone won't be any use):
    - Linux is inferior, that's why it needs io_uring, which by the way is crappy because it's on Linux
    - liburing is an interface to a proprietary [what???!!!] feature of the Linux kernel and by the way we are superior because we don't have it and therefore we don't need it
    - Yeah, we are so superior, now GTFO
    Examples, or it's just your own ranting.

You really don't see this type of endemic attitude in the Linux community, except for some small non-mainstream distros who believe in systemd conspiracy theories and love to think that they are under siege - not very different, really. The only similar examples that come to mind that are somewhat representative were the zealots in the early days of Linux, with their posts like "I wrote this [buggy and shitty] Perl script, how can I release it making sure that it will never be ported to Windows? I so hate Windows!" Or there was that post in an iOS discussion forum about 2 years back where the poster said that he (or she) wished that Android users got cancer.

Today there are many differences of opinion and yes, trolling, between Linux distros, between Linux and Windows or Linux and {!Free}BSD, but it's never as toxic neither so universal as the near hysteria that constantly comes out of FreeBSD.

Your first sentence in this quote is contradicting the last. Or I do understand term "endemic attitude" somehow differently.

And please, again, links with particular examples (what constantly comes out of FreeBSD) - I am amazed as a regular visitor of FreeBSD Forums, I haven't seen things you describe the way you describe. If its "constant", dropping me especially juicy examples shouldnt be hard. Or its just your ranting?

Comment

I told you which rivals Linux had: It had FreeBSD. FreeBSD had a head start in that it came as a more mature and capable OS, but Linux overtook it, because as you say, IBM (and SGI, Intel, AMD, ARM, Oracle, today even MS, Google, FB...) "just" decided to put money into Linux. But that's the whole point: why Linux, if according to some fans, the BSD licence was supposedly so much better? Well precisely because it really WASN'T better. The business model that was built around Linux works thanks to the GPL but it could never have worked with the BSD licence.
      FreeBSD initial release: 1 November 1993
      Linux initial release: 5 October 1991

First Linux distros sprang up 1991-1992, by the time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_S...e_Design,_Inc. ended, Linux had an nearly 2 years of advantage.

Get your facts straight.

Comment

Working...
      X