Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Open-Source Bootloader For Windows Lets You Run Off Btrfs, Other Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Why create an open bootloader for a closed os?
    My guess is that the goal is to create a boot loader for Windows that is able to use btrfs. I'm guessing the boot loader has to be open source because btrfs is GPL, but in any case, there's no reason to keep the boot loader proprietary just because Windows is proprietary.

In other words, the goal is to make a boot loader in order to get features, not to create an open boot loader for the sake of making the boot loader open. That would be weird, but wanting to use btrfs on Windows is as reasonable as wanting to use btrfs and wanting to use Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
      If they want to work on Btrfs, better fixing its bugs. Or maybe work on BcacheFS.
      why would anyone who want to work on btrfs work on bcachefs instead? it is even less useful than working on windows bootloaders

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        wake me up when they'll have features "upstreamed" and "can change filesystem size"

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Because ZFS sucks and Stratis is an attempt to get ZFS like features using the existing functionality of the Linux kernel.
          because redhat lost all btrfs devs and stratis is an attempt to get btrfs like features using python

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            Because BTRFS is aimed to be a GPL replacement for ZFS
            btrfs is aimed to be a replacement for ext4(which is already gpl), there's no zfs on linux. btrfs has more features than zfs, because it was designed later
            and if it can't keep your files from getting corrupted from one of the many bugs they have, why even make the effort to change the filesystem to the inferior system?
            that't what i'm asking. why spend time on inferior zfs which has bugtracker full of bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
              TBH I don't care about Windows support I just want the X86-64 port of ReactOS along with some better Networking/Windows 95/98 support in ReactOS.
              i don't care about reactos, i just want wine. which always supported btrfs btw

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                I'm guessing the boot loader has to be open source because btrfs is GPL
                it doesn't work that way, otherwise it would require windows to be open source too

Comment

Because BTRFS is aimed to be a GPL replacement for ZFS and if it can't keep your files from getting corrupted from one of the many bugs they have, why even make the effort to change the filesystem to the inferior system?
                  so, I am a longtime user of BTRFS - I even had a bunch of disks in btrfs raid5 (which is rather risky i know)! I have not lost any data and I love the flexibility it gives me for my data storage.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it doesn't work that way, otherwise it would require windows to be open source too
                    What? Why would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                      What? Why would that be?
                      that's my question. why filesystem should infect bootloader(or operating system)? it only reads same data format, it doesn't embed linux kernel code

Comment

Working...
                      X