GhostBSD 20.01 Released For FreeBSD 12.1 + MATE 1.22.2 Desktop Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 20.01 Released For FreeBSD 12.1 + MATE 1.22.2 Desktop Experience

Phoronix: GhostBSD 20.01 Released For FreeBSD 12.1 + MATE 1.22.2 Desktop Experience

GhostBSD 20.01 is out today as the first release of 2020 for this desktop-focused BSD operating system built off FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gave it a whirl, its not for me personally, but I am sure works for many in the BSD world.

Comment

Does Vulkan gaming work in BSD?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        What? FreeBSD has Games!? Since when? lol

Yes, Vulkan "gaming" works.. without the games. lol

Jokes aside, FreeBSD is tailored to be a server OS and sometimes used as a workstation. No commercial games at all support it.. That being said it has the same graphics stack as Linux does by in large and Nvidia makes proprietary drivers for it. It can also run Wine as well as Linux can. It can even run Linux binaries native in a limited form. Some people have gotten Linux's version of steam to work in the past.. I really wish we'd see some development on that aspect because it also has server uses allowing FreeBSD to run unmodified Linux docker images. If that worked combined with Jails and ZFS it would make a more attractive docker platform than Linux really..

End note tho... Any game that runs outside of a web browser, console emulator or wine isn't really going to be great on FreeBSD and that is ok.. FreeBSD is for work. Sometimes you need a good serious workstation OS.. You could run it and buy a Playstation and get a better gaming experience than Linux or macOS. lol

I'm very happy to see GhostBSD with a new release. I've mixed feeling about dropping TrueOS in flavor of FreeBSD Base, but I felt that way when they switched the first time. I tend to use FreeBSD Vanilla when I use it as a desktop so I may try it out. I am sad tho to see OpenRC from TrueOS gone. (is it gone?) TrueOS had some nice features. At least they didn't switch to Void Linux.
        Last edited by k1e0x; 22 January 2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Does Linux have many AAA titles ported to it? Or just indy crap..
          Last edited by aht0; 23 January 2020, 02:18 AM.

Comment

In theory it would but the issue is there are not many native BSD games and no native Vulkan games. Most games are run through Wine and the issue is Vulkan doesn't work with Wine on BSD. So it could work but at the moment not really. Correct me if i'm wrong, this is how I read the situation.

As for the topic at hand I run GhostBSD on a spare HDD and enjoy it overall. Not enough to switch to it as a daily driver but I will continue to tinker with it and test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Does Linux have many AAA titles ported to it? Or just indy crap..
              Many AAA games work under Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post

In theory it would but the issue is there are not many native BSD games and no native Vulkan games. Most games are run through Wine and the issue is Vulkan doesn't work with Wine on BSD. So it could work but at the moment not really. Correct me if i'm wrong, this is how I read the situation.

As for the topic at hand I run GhostBSD on a spare HDD and enjoy it overall. Not enough to switch to it as a daily driver but I will continue to tinker with it and test it out.
                While not enabled in the default pkg config, Vulkan is available for Wine in FreeBSD. It just has to be built from ports with the option enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Many AAA games work under Proton.
                  Yeah and playing online in anticheat-enabled servers ends with permaban and/or autokick.

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex
                    Full fan speed ALL THE TIME and very hot laptop (old Intel with BIOS, not modern UEFI). Disgusting. Debian Stable 10.xx with KDE is quiet as hell and like idle all the time. I didn't even check VAAPi playback on GhostBSD.
                    PS. GhostBSD also uses Linux Kernel (required for god knows what, but definitely to build ghost bsd with KDE or XFCE for example GhostSD will require you to pull down Linux kernel). Why would I use BSD if I have to download linux kernel to build stuff. WTF?!
                    Enable power-management AND conf it. It's not Lindows. All it takes is 2 lines in /etc/rc.conf. GhostBSD installer is limited to helping you setting up X and Mate. Well, and partitioning. Everything else is 'up to you'. If you truly need hand-holding, stick to Windows or generic desktop-linux distros .

It's like helping 4y old child in toilet. You 'll switch on the lights (because it's hard for a child) but assume that he is able to swipe his own ass.

About 'GhostBSD using Linux kernel'.. Adjust your meds. It's emulation ABI module(s) you may see being loaded. It's by default loaded with Nvidia graphics. Overridable.
                    Last edited by aht0; 24 January 2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X