Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSF-Approved Hyperbola GNU/Linux Switching Out The Linux Kernel For Hard Fork Of OpenBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ath0 look at us, we truly are best buddies. We chat amicably over the ether even on 25th December.

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    And due that "window dressing" we can notice kinda trend, where upon another CVE we hear "it was fixed in OpenBSD x month/year" earlier.
    The overwhelming majority of CVEs are not on stuff they audit at all. That's why I call it "window dressing".

Dude, you need to learn some self-control, when somebody happens to trip the thresholds of your prejudices.
    Isn't this type of reaction the whole reason you troll like that? I'm doing it because I care about you.

And you weren't even aware of the feature before I remarked on it, some few years back in one of the past arguments we had here in Phoronix. WHO is the real "noob at installing stuff"?
    So now you admit you know it, are you purposely playing dumb then?

It's actually called a "Role" not a "Profile".
    "profile" is a generic term, that's why I used the "" around it.

That's your "light" OpenSUSE install.
    No that's the Role named "Server". You can unselect the profiles by going in the advanced mode I talked about to get a minimal install.

Or go direct to the Custom and then click on the "Details" to open the package manager, then select "Enhanced Base System" and right-click, then select "do not install", this will dump a whole lot of stuff you don't usually need on a light device. Then you click on "installation summary" tab and you can drop a whole lot more stuff like most of Perl and Python and Yast.

[QUOTE]Look above again. I cannot quite recall when "minimum server install" started exceeding 1GB mark, might have been around 2011-12.
    I think the misunderstanding here is that for "minumum server install" on OpenSUSE I don't mean to choose the minimal profile and be done with it, but to do that and then remove stuff with the advanced interface.

That's un-smart.
    That's why I rarely use it. Admittedly I encountered more need for this feature on Debian (where I can't do it) than on OpenSUSE.

Yeah, whatever. I suggest you brush up your own OpenSUSE install experience.
    Try following the instructions I gave above, I used that recently to set up my KVM home lab server, You can get down to around 1GB.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

To be honest with you,
      I have a thousand times more respect by hyperbole or BSD guys, than for RedHat, and a lot of other garbage projects around..

The hyperbole guys had the courage to say, and for what seems do, what a lot have been thinking but couldn't..
      Why because Red Hat doesn't drum up fake drama to feed anti-21st century trolls?

Comment

It is not the first time that I see people moving concerning about the Mozilla restriction on its own license. I think for the good of all Mozilla had better to deliver an unbranded version of Rust & Cargo (Dust & Freight ??? ). If you treat a program language as a product you will always step in problems like this...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          It is not the first time that I see people moving concerning about the Mozilla restriction on its own license. I think for the good of all Mozilla had better to deliver an unbranded version of Rust & Cargo (Dust & Freight ??? ). If you treat a program language as a product you will always step in problems like this...
          Literally the only people who think it are a problem are closely associated with GNU or the FSF. Not even the anti-Rust trolls care about this particular point because it's so asinine, and unironically it's not a bug, it's a feature. Let's say for example Microsoft were to actually move to EEE Rust. They took the compiler, forked it... made language changes that were completely incompatible with normal Rust and tried to force it on the world, calling it Rust and creating confusion away from the original language.... Mozilla can now sue them for infringing the Rust Trademark and force them to call their language something else. thus once more clearing the air. That's it... That's all it does. You can argue that there should be an independent Rust Foundation that holds those trademarks instead but... all things considered Mozilla isn't a terrible option... and if you care that much... well GNU and the people around it seems to be full of experts at renaming things.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Literally the only people who think it are a problem are closely associated with GNU or the FSF. [...]
            People who cares about licenses issues pay attention to these details. The four freedoms give you the power to fork a project and completely changing it while you still release the source code. As a matter of fact I said that Mozilla should release an unbranded version of Rust/Cargo. Rust is now a brand and Mozilla has the right to protect their products but people who cares about free software must select options that won't be troublemakers for themselves.

I consider very important all these distros that are committed entirely to free software, for me are the last bastion that will preserve the community's power against the IT corporations. Ten years ago and more, corporations were dependents by the community but now they have reverted the situation and those are all seating on the cockpit; and developers are unable to lead the developing as before, I mean more end-user centric, these distributions still continue to the users at the center and that is way they need more support and lesser mockeries.

Comment

People who cares about licenses issues pay attention to these details. The four freedoms give you the power to fork a project and completely changing it while you still release the source code. As a matter of fact I said that Mozilla should release an unbranded version of Rust/Cargo. Rust is now a brand and Mozilla has the right to protect their products but people who cares about free software must select options that won't be troublemakers for themselves.
              You think rather poorly of people who care about free software don't you? The only way the Rust trademark comes into play is if "Free Software people" act maliciously, and try to represent a language that is not Rust as Rust. There is no other way in which is will be a troublemaker for "people who cares about free software". Cargo is a bit more hairy because it's an actual program rather than a concept the way a language is but one mv command and you're done. However lets say you do want to hard fork the project, it's exceedingly bad manners to not change the name.

Furthermore pretty much any popular language that is in any sense modern has the same "issues" as well as a large swath of programs, and yet it seems like GNU only wants to piss on about it when Mozilla does it, when Sun Microsystems and now Oracle just to make an example have a vastly more onerous trademark policy they say nothing.

I consider very important all these distros that are committed entirely to free software, for me are the last bastion that will preserve the community's power against the IT corporations. Ten years ago and more, corporations were dependents by the community but now they have reverted the situation and those are all seating on the cockpit; and developers are unable to lead the developing as before, I mean more end-user centric, these distributions still continue to the users at the center and that is way they need more support and lesser mockeries.
              Look, kid... I got news for you: 10 even 20 years ago Linux was in the same spot in regards to corporate control as it is today. The only significant changes to the distro landscape are that Red Hat is now owned by IBM, Canonical came into existence and stole most of Debian's market share, and SUSE has swapped hands a half dozen times in the intermediary. Otherwise all the current players are the exact same as the players then, and your little FSF flavoured rebrands have done nothing to change that. Linux being "community driven" rather than "corporate driven" (as if corporations aren't part of the community) simply hasn't been true since Linux stopped being a "hobby project for 386s"

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                [...]Look, kid...[...]
                Thanks for the kid, I appreciated, however misinterpreting my words doesn't make looking you smarter. For whatever reason if you want avoid issues with licenses you must also avoid all that parts that are opaque. It happened the same with Wordpress and Reactjs.

And regarding ten years and also twenty years ago the situation was way more different as today, don't kidding me, and it had been a "hobby project for a Pentiums" especially within everything related with the desktop side.

Comment

So, the Alt-FSF is creating a conspiracy theory based OS? My head really hurts after reading this article.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    Why because Red Hat doesn't drum up fake drama to feed anti-21st century trolls?
                    RedHat doesn't drum fake drama.. they bring the *real drama*, that is the problem for me..

Comment

Working...
                    X