Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.1 Runs Refreshingly Well With AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X - Benchmarks Against Windows + Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Like driver support?
    Did you missed the part where article said
    and all core functionality working including the PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD storage, onboard networking, etc.
    ?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Did you missed the part where article said

?
      I didn't suppose there are just few peripherals in entire world.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's graphics stack is years behind Linux. Furthermore, I can forget about running FreeBSD on the laptop.
        Funny claims. Especially after brief google query brings up articles titled "how to buy a laptop for Linux" and reveals various problems users have seen after buying new laptops and trying to put Linux on it.

This article is sour apples for you, I guess - so you try to troll as much as possible,

Comment

With all of the recent work by Netflix to improve transcoding performance in FreeBSD, I would assume it would do really well once on TR. It didn't do poorly mind you, just didn't stand out as much as I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Funny claims. Especially after brief google query brings up articles titled "how to buy a laptop for Linux" and reveals various problems users have seen after buying new laptops and trying to put Linux on it.

This article is sour apples for you, I guess - so you try to troll as much as possible,
            There are far less problems than with BSD. Didn't you hear this joke? I managed to install BSD on my laptop. Did it launch? No, but who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
              With all of the recent work by Netflix to improve transcoding performance in FreeBSD, I would assume it would do really well once on TR. It didn't do poorly mind you, just didn't stand out as much as I expected.
              A lot of the stuff that Netflix puts in there requires a lot of custom tuning / configuration and those toggles may harm performance in other areas. Out of the box, it's not going just be the fastest on everything. ie: tuning performance for a NFS server, is different than a web server, is different than a desktop.

Comment

The main advantage of (Free)BSD is that it's used by real people, not by bearded toenail eating communists. Hard to see how a license that forces people to contribute back could be any better. The whole point of open source is to write free (as in beer) code for the corporations to profit from.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  I don't believe they do transcoding on those devices. These are purpose built for encrypted content delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    The main advantage of (Free)BSD is that it's used by real people, not by bearded toenail eating communists. Hard to see how a license that forces people to contribute back could be any better. The whole point of open source is to write free (as in beer) code for the corporations to profit from.
                    And it's wrote by real servants. I wish I had a few of them.

Comment

Great article Michael. You seem to be the only one who gives the *BSDs any benchmarking love. I wonder was FreeBSD tested with root on ZFS or UFS? UFS would be more similar to the ext4 default of the Linux distros and ZFS more similar to btrfs.

Comment

Working...
                      X