X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

aka perfect for a rust enthusiast, lol.

Thanks for the help.
    No, not unless that enthusiast wanted to rewrite the entire Linux kernel in Rust. The Linux kernel accepts code written in C (with the occasional script here and there). Writing it in Rust would only be beneficial for Redux.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Yes. A ton of code was written after the ZFS fork, dealing with relicensing so much stuff is not really a walk in the park, even if Oracle somehow decided to be good for once.
      The good part about that is, if the OpenZFS team tried this method, is they could, say, set it up a CLA so that every commit is agreed to be dual-licensed under both the CDDL and GPLv2. Eventually, enough would go into it that it would truly be dual-licensed. Thankfully, the CDDL allows doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        The good part about that is, if the OpenZFS team tried this method, is they could, say, set it up a CLA so that every commit is agreed to be dual-licensed under both the CDDL and GPLv2. Eventually, enough would go into it that it would truly be dual-licensed. Thankfully, the CDDL allows doing that.
        Careful, you're giving people reason to believe that OpenZFS is still part of the Sun conspiracy to keep ZFS away from Linux too.

And I'm only half-joking. I'm pretty sure most OpenZFS contributors would not like that much having to do some shenanigans like dual-license only for the sake of Linux, which is technically their nemesis, this "we are more opensource, fuck GPL" general sentiment carried over from Sun times even in OpenZFS project.

Comment

Correction: FreeBSD ZFS code is currently based on OpenZFS code, originally from Illumos. OpenZFS is migrating/rebasing their repo on the ZFS-on-Linux repo. Once that is done, FreeBSD will migrate over to the new OpenZFS repo.

IOW, FreeBSD isn't moving to OpenZFS, they're continuing to use OpenZFS. But the upstream for OpenZFS is changing (from Illumose to ZoL).

While they're waiting for the OpenZFS move to complete, there's a side project that is manually integrating the ZoL repo into FreeBSD via the ports tree, mainly for testing. Once the OpenZFS migration is complete, the in-tree ZFS code will be migrated over, probably shortly after 13.0 is released. (Not sure if they're trying to get it into the source tree before 13.0.)

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            Why won't Oracle release ZFS under the GPL license also?
            Wouldn't that solve the problem?
            Or is it more complex than that?
            Oracle doesn't own OpenZFS in Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Illumos, macOS or Windows.
            They only own OracleZFS in Oracle Solaris.

Even if Oracle decided to re-licence, a large chunk (maybe 50%) was written in OpenZFS and I highly doubt you'll see FreeBSD and Illumos agree to licence their bits as GPL.

Just forget about relicence and Oracle... It's really fine how it is. CDDL is a pretty good licence all and all. (Similar to Firefox's licence)
            Last edited by k1e0x; 08 November 2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post
              Correction: FreeBSD ZFS code is currently based on OpenZFS code, originally from Illumos. OpenZFS is migrating/rebasing their repo on the ZFS-on-Linux repo. Once that is done, FreeBSD will migrate over to the new OpenZFS repo.

IOW, FreeBSD isn't moving to OpenZFS, they're continuing to use OpenZFS. But the upstream for OpenZFS is changing (from Illumose to ZoL).

While they're waiting for the OpenZFS move to complete, there's a side project that is manually integrating the ZoL repo into FreeBSD via the ports tree, mainly for testing. Once the OpenZFS migration is complete, the in-tree ZFS code will be migrated over, probably shortly after 13.0 is released. (Not sure if they're trying to get it into the source tree before 13.0.)
              This is already done, 12.1 supports using Linux's version of ZoL on FreeBSD. (Testing/Beta etc. Install OpenZFS and OpenZFS-kmod in ports https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/openzfs-kmod/) It's not in base yet and installs to /usr/local.. but you can mount Linux created pools with all the features enabled if you need to.
              Last edited by k1e0x; 08 November 2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

This is already done, 12.1 supports using Linux's version of ZoL on FreeBSD. (Testing/Beta etc. Install OpenZFS and OpenZFS-kmod in ports https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/openzfs-kmod/) It's not in base yet and installs to /usr/local.. but you can mount Linux created pools with all the features enabled if you need to.
                If you read what you quoted, that's what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post

If you read what you quoted, that's what I said.
                  Sorta.. you don't have to use HEAD/CURRENT (13.0)

12.1-RELEASE can do it now.. (one of the features of the release last week) but yes it's sill pretty beta. You can't put it on root. (pretty sure.. lol.. k hacking that on would be bad. mmmm ya. )

I hope they get this done by 13.0-RELEASE but I wouldn't count on it.

Edit: I went back and read it again. : shrug : I don't see really what you mean but it's all good. Different dialects. I'm pretty bad with English. Is it not ok to quote to add info? I don't really understand.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 08 November 2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

There has been some talk about doing that. But I think through technology and legal condoms we are in a situation that is fine now.

I think the CDDL is a pretty good licence actually. And that a corporation made it even more impressive. I think Canonical's legal interpretation is correct too and the FSF is wrong. If we every go court over it we can worry about dual-licence.

Comment

when freebsd will be Reborn As A Void-Based Linux Distro ?

Comment

Working...
                      X