• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

What about P L A S M A ?
    Gotta go halfway through the second paragraph, but also doable

Comment

Gotta agree with muncrief, I really don't see much of a point or market for this, BSD may be thriving in the server world but it's failing in desktop, and Xfce is also really showing it's age. But the maintainer seems to really be into it, so I guess if he's happy about using it then it's all good.

Comment

To those complaining about applications not working in FreeBSD, its Wine support is stellar. It doesn't support Crossover for those hard cases directly but vanilla wine works just fine for running say MS office. Only thing keeping me from using OpenBSD as my daily driver is that it doesn't support virtual box and doesn't support Wine. FreeBSD is my second favorite operating system. It has some quirks but is a solid system. I run vanilla FreeBSD with XFCE as the desktop and I wonder what this FurryBSD would get me that I can't get already in vanilla FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          Well, the primary problem with BSD as a desktop OS has always been the dearth of applications.
          In the past I've run a full desktop on FreeBSD, with remote-support tools, Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, vpnc, Caja, VirtualBox plus all the dev tools and have found FreeBSD's package selection to be very good. My only issue with FreeBSD is that I've been bitten by updates (to the system, not just packages) that have killed my system. Besides that, many of the hardware drivers are a bit dated, so newer hardware isn't supported well, or at all.

Bug reports don't get a lot of attention unless it's a popular package like Firefox, etc. There just are not as many developers working on FreeBSD compared to, say, Debian. Many of the FreeBSD packages have a notice after installation that says "This port doesn't have a maintainer".

I hope GhostBSD, FuryBSD and others gain some users and developers become interested in FreeBSD so we can have nice BSD things.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            I wonder what this FurryBSD would get me that I can't get already in vanilla FreeBSD?
            Men in fursuits giving you all the hugs that are banned in vanilla FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              Men in fursuits giving you all the hugs that are banned in vanilla FreeBSD?
              No, that's only in Linux. I have feeling these guys are more realistic, with surgically implanted fur and cat ears.

Comment

Getting a non-broken desktop environment working is important. Even little things like missing icons in the default install makes it look pretty amateur. I would even go so far as to say a polished desktop doesn't really exist in FOSS; even that provided by enterprise distributions of Linux have breakages here and there.

So I like the idea of this project but I can't help but feel this would be best implemented as a patch-set or really simple self-extractor in its own /usr/fury prefix for FreeBSD rather than a separate install.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                  "...des-K-top BS-D- focus-E-d..."
                  they're in there, just gotta look
                  Macklin, you son of a bitch

Comment

yall talking about why not plasma instead of XFCE. well why not LXQT instead if they are talking lightweight?

Comment

I don't get it. They take TrueOS and head that in the direction of Project Trident which appears to be petering out and I never figured out what it was supposed to be. Lumina Desktop (Qt based DM with Openbox as the desktop) which is a 1st class citizen on BSD and now they're switching to FuryBSD with XFCE? I....I'm kinda of at a loss for words. iXSytems isn't big enough to support all that. Is this just 1 or 2 devs starting, more or less, personal projects and then petering out after a few years?

I love FreeBSD. All my servers run it, but it's never going to be a desktop OS unless Linux just takes off as a desktop OS too. I wish iXsystems would focus on their hardware stack and make FreeNAS and TrueNAS a rock stable platform. Work on stuff like blinking light support in JBODs and ZFS daemons, etc.... that's where BSD shines.

I ran FreeBSD for years as my primary work desktop and just got sick of fighting it. I run Arch now and no longer need 2 machines (Arch gaming box and FreeBSD desktop) and stopped using it at work too as a desktop.
                      Last edited by rhavenn; 06 November 2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X