Microsoft Works On Adding More Bling To The Windows Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Sorry what? Are you going to tell me that a shell interface with scripts is a good interface on a touchscreen mobile device?
    Have you ever used android? Of course Im not an average user and I like to root my phone and flash cyanogenmod or at least a tweaked stock rom. I assume you're not an average user either. So you must know where I'm going with this.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Have you ever used android? Of course Im not an average user and I like to root my phone and flash cyanogenmod or at least a tweaked stock rom. I assume you're not an average user either. So you must know where I'm going with this.
      1. does not answer the question
      2. Cyanogenmod died years ago
      3. none has ever been talking of users with special needs

Comment

Well, nice for the people who are still forced to use windows for some reason

Comment

It's been like 4 years already you can do that on rooted phones (with busybox and the "Hacker's Keyboard" which is a keyabord with the additional buttons needed for terminal use), and no the UX still sucks ass.

I've used that in a pinch to control stuff over SSH and bluetooth serial converters for microcontrollers.

The screen is too small to write stuff beyond basic single-word commands and see the output of most Unix-like tools without scrolling like crazy.
          I've used termux back in the day to make it bearable with a proper GNU userland. Using something like the hacker's keyboard makes it a little better, and it almost turns Android into something usable.

I've relied on a physical keyboard a lot, though, as I've been doing some stuff in Emacs, which is nearly unusable without one.

Comment

1. does not answer the question
            2. Cyanogenmod died years ago
            3. none has ever been talking of users with special needs
            With the sheer volume that the word retard is used here, #3 is an untrue statement .

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I've used termux back in the day to make it bearable with a proper GNU userland. Using something like the hacker's keyboard makes it a little better, and it almost turns Android into something usable.

I've relied on a physical keyboard a lot, though, as I've been doing some stuff in Emacs, which is nearly unusable without one.
              Since you say "Emacs" I assume you were editing text files (developing something I guess), wasn't the small screen space a problem?

(And I mean screen space, not resolution. Many modern phones are fulHD or even 4K, but you can't render text at the same size you would on a fullHD or 4K monitor as it would be microscopic on a 5 inch or smaller screen)

I mean yes old timers used old crap CRT monitors that had awful 80lines-per-screen resolution, but I don't consider that a fond memory I'd like to relive.

Comment

Since you say "Emacs" I assume you were editing text files (developing something I guess), wasn't the small screen space a problem?

(And I mean screen space, not resolution. Many modern phones are fulHD or even 4K, but you can't render text at the same size you would on a fullHD or 4K monitor as it would be microscopic on a 5 inch or smaller screen)

I mean yes old timers used old crap CRT monitors that had awful 80lines-per-screen resolution, but I don't consider that a fond memory I'd like to relive.
                I don't get your point.
                The new Windows terminal is specifically designed to cater for __developers__ and __admins__ that are use to using shell under Linux.
                This - in an effort to stop (or at least slow down) bleeding server and container installations to Linux.
                Its not designed to be used on a cellphone, touch-screen-only netbook or a tablet.

Am I missing anything?

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  Am I missing anything?

- Gilboa
                  That is a tangent discussion that started with people posting bullshit like
                  Phoronix: Microsoft Works On Adding More Bling To The Windows Terminal Since Microsoft's first preview release of Windows Terminal earlier this summer it's been entertaining to watch its evolution with the Redmond giant trying to make a first-rate terminal emulator for Windows and one that can appease veteran Linux users...

Phoronix: Microsoft Works On Adding More Bling To The Windows Terminal Since Microsoft's first preview release of Windows Terminal earlier this summer it's been entertaining to watch its evolution with the Redmond giant trying to make a first-rate terminal emulator for Windows and one that can appease veteran Linux users...

and then I just answered that what they said makes 0 sense, and then repeated again in the last post you quoted.

What's the point of doing any serious text editing on a 5 inch screen, his "CLI would be pretty nice even on touch screens." statement is bs.

Comment

and then I just answered that what they said makes 0 sense, and then repeated again in the last post you quoted.

What's the point of doing any serious text editing on a 5 inch screen, his "CLI would be pretty nice even on touch screens." statement is bs.
                    Understood.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

If you had your way then -ALL- power users, techs, engineers, programmers and more would be completely fucked. If you had your way the -ONLY- option anybody would have is to stare blankly at white space.... Moron.

Comment

Working...
                      X