No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Is Looking For Your Feedback To Guide Its Priorities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This OS is a useless huge NICHE, it's mostly found on 15-20-year old servers, more rarely, used by nostalgic nerds on their 15-year old laptops.
    Won't count PS3/4 here, coz it's kernel is even more modified than Android's kernel.
    Where won't you look, there Linux is better than other OSes, and there's no space for any backward OSes like FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

…. It's not like they are trying to force anyone to use their stuff or adhere to their philosophy.
      Their user-base was never asked, and "their" CoC was enforced by one person, never asking any of the people that had built it whether they agreed. That is as forceful a philosophy as it gets, seeing as some of it has nothing to do with FreeBSD. Being at the option of using FreeBSD does not change with or without a CoC.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
        This OS is a useless huge NICHE, it's mostly found on 15-20-year old servers, more rarely, used by nostalgic nerds on their 15-year old laptops.
        Won't count PS3/4 here, coz it's kernel is even more modified than Android's kernel.
        Where won't you look, there Linux is better than other OSes, and there's no space for any backward OSes like FreeBSD.
        Yep, I think you need to think before you type.

Comment

Originally posted by kingu View Post

Their user-base was never asked, and "their" CoC was enforced by one person, never asking any of the people that had built it whether they agreed. That is as forceful a philosophy as it gets, seeing as some of it has nothing to do with FreeBSD. Being at the option of using FreeBSD does not change with or without a CoC.
          Nope, they were asked. There were forum discussions. They subsequently banned those that dissented (some vociferously) and deleted the posts. Then they implemented their SJW agenda anyway.

However, to nit-pick, the user-base has no reason to fear the COC, per se unless they participate in the forums and mailing lists. It's the developers/porters that do have most to fear. Someone introduces their sexual preferences/handicaps/stress etc into a conversation about code, the entire thing is shut down and discussion is ended.

Don't get me wrong, freeBSD is a great OS and suits my needs (and the business I work for, i might add) but their politics is obnoxious.
          Last edited by Bsdisbetter; 28 April 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
            My main problem with all BSD's is the lack of proper virtualization and container systems. I think crippled VirtualBox and jails are all they have. I want something like KVM, Xen, etc, and lxc.

High-performance video drivers are my next problem but admittedly I haven't looked at the current state.
            Virtualization software allows multiple operating systems to run simultaneously on the same computer

Regardless, can I say, NO ONE is forcing you to use the OS. You are free to use whatever works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
              Regardless, can I say, NO ONE is forcing you to use the OS. You are free to use whatever works for you.
              Why so defensive. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post

Why so defensive. Hmmm.
                What? I gave you a link, now educate yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post

Nope, they were asked. There were forum discussions. They subsequently banned those that dissented (some vociferously) and deleted the posts. Then they implemented their SJW agenda anyway.

However, to nit-pick, the user-base has no reason to fear the COC, per se unless they participate in the forums and mailing lists. It's the developers/porters that do have most to fear. Someone introduces their sexual preferences/handicaps/stress etc into a conversation about code, the entire thing is shut down and discussion is ended.

Don't get me wrong, freeBSD is a great OS and suits my needs (and the business I work for, i might add) but their politics is obnoxious.
                  Funny that it was discussed and still implemented, news to me.

I have ported software to FreeBSD, wasn't asked. Egregious policy, if for some reason one should grant it only has implications for whoever is making it, still affects the user-base. If your development and product dies, similarly, in similar vein to the argument above, nobody is forcing you to give up on using it, or making a developer of yourself and taking it on alone, if that is what it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                    If they need to ask the community what to do next, it means they've become irrelevant.
                    I just don't see how asking "How do y'all use our OS and what would y'all like to see next?" makes them irrelevant. I actually like it when distributions take that approach and seem to care to give a shit about the users of their software and OS.

Like, if X distribution asked their users if they'd like their desktops to focus on gaming, multimedia, media encoding workstation/server, office work, web development, programming, file hosting, etc. Going with gaming might mean a them working on things like finding sane gamemode defaults, using various Steam integration utilities, Lutris by default, wattmanGTK and other AMDGPU tools, Nvidia coolbits and whatnot, multiple Wine builds with dxvk, vkd3d, gallium-nine, etc....but if 100 people chimed back "office work" and 2 people "gaming", why focus on gamemode and wine and gpu tools, oh my? Office Suites, PDF support, font rendering, included fonts, and such might make a bit more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      I just don't see how asking "How do y'all use our OS and what would y'all like to see next?" makes them irrelevant.
                      Beware it's only my humble opinion, but I think it's the other way around: it's being irrelevant that makes you ask what to do next.

Comment

Working...
                      X