The New ZFS on FreeBSD Implementation Can Now Be Tested With TrueOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New ZFS on FreeBSD Implementation Can Now Be Tested With TrueOS

Phoronix: The New ZFS on FreeBSD Implementation Can Now Be Tested With TrueOS

It was recently decided that FreeBSD's ZFS file-system support would be re-based atop ZFS On Linux. That new "ZFS On BSD" implementation based on ZOL continues moving along and it's now easier to test thanks to iX Systems and their TrueOS platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A ZFS on linux vs new ZFS on *BSD vs Btrfs on Linux would be interesting, IMHO.

Comment

Bit early for proper comparative testing IMHO. Porting has barely started but every failure would be labeled as proof it sucks somehow..

Comment

Oh, I see. I was under the impression that the port was mostly done.

Comment

Migration was announced few days before Christmas.. Kinda doubt porting was done in a week's time (excluding holidays)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            A ZFS on linux vs new ZFS on *BSD vs Btrfs on Linux would be interesting, IMHO.
            Does BTRFS actually excel against ZFS when it comes to typical benchmarks? I think it tends to win in other ares like being able to use multiple disks of varied sizes(iirc ZFS has a fixed size spanning the disks, maybe it can use other capacities but they all only contribtue storage space as much as the smallest one or something?), and something to do with repairing or adding new storage devices to the pool would take much longer on larger storage pools with ZFS but on BTRFS was less painful and fast?

Comment

I didn't try ZFS myself, yet. What keeps me from trying is, that you cannot change RAID level during operation; you need to copy your data somewhere, re-create the pool with the new RAID level and copy the data back.

Trouble is: I've a 4 drives NAS, which currently only holds two 5 TiB HDDs. I plan to add another disk and switch to RAID5 once they are full, however, I've nowhere enough space to store those 5 TiB "temporarily". With Btrfs, this is no problem, with ZFS it is :/. This flexibility surely comes at a price. That's why I'm interested in benchmarks to see, if they manage to close the gap.

Comment

Are you using your NAS as a backup device or you don't have actual backup? Risky either way..

Comment

Working...
                X