macOS Mojave Released With Dark Mode, Redesigned App Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hussam View Post

A little bit because gnome-shell's design (including cantarell fonts) was a bit inspired by OSX's interface but not entirely.
    Yeah, most of GNOME Shell was actually inspired by webOS. Not only am I a former webOS user, I also remember that the designers talked about using webOS as inspiration (and you can still see that in stuff like, what's it called, the user menu? I mean the menu on the top right with all of its foldable submenus - directly copied off of webOS; but also stuff like the design of notifcations, and also the overview, which was inspired by webOS' card interface).

Now GNOME apps are a different story. GNOME Control Center alone looked like the Mac OS X/macOS Control Center for years and with the current design, GNOME Control Center looks like the iOS Settings app on iPads.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 25 September 2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      Always felt that the Finder since macOS 10.5 has been trying to do way too many things at once with way too much bling.

As far as graphical file managers are concerned, I still consider Windows' Explorer to be the best, hands down. Why is it that no file manager on macOS and Linux have the ability to view a directory tree on the left panel like how Explorer does it? Finder can't do it, Nautilus can't do it and Dolphin definitely can't do it.
      But Xfe (X File Explorer) can do it. (and PathFinder, but I won't recommend it as it's more of a proof-of-concept file manager - Xfe is the real deal).

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Always felt that the Finder since macOS 10.5 has been trying to do way too many things at once with way too much bling.

As far as graphical file managers are concerned, I still consider Windows' Explorer to be the best, hands down. Why is it that no file manager on macOS and Linux have the ability to view a directory tree on the left panel like how Explorer does it? Finder can't do it, Nautilus can't do it and Dolphin definitely can't do it.
        On Dolphin, is not enabled by default. To do it, move the pointer to top left, in "Places", right click> Unlock panels> right click> Folders.

In my experience, Dolphin is the most resourceful file manager of the main desktop environments out there. If you did not find a function or feature, it may be omitted by default, so you just have to look for it. Compared to Dolphin, WE is pretty spartan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
          Bye bye linux, even with Valve's Proton, macOS shows better numbers
          Is that one reason to kill Linux?

OK, please tell me. Can you use OpenGL 4.5 on macOS?

Comment

I'm personally running both linux and macOS. Linux because I love it - fast updates, free (as in freedom, not beer), chose apps / distros, customizable it how you want, fast, powerful, stable and all of that. We get macs from my worksplace, and I've actually tried running linux on those instead as I really want that as my main work OS, but.. Let's just say there is a reason why it's not the year of the linux desktop yet. There are just a lot of issues. I move around the office or to new offices a lot and connect / disconnect to all kinds of screens. Most work, but a lot doesn't work unless you reboot. HiDPI is sketchy, and mixed DPI you can forget about. Installing a printer is usually a hassle, local network shares doesn't work out of the box without a bunch of troubleshooting or configuration. The webcam randomly stops working after I update whatever lib or the kernel, which doesn't fly as I have a lot of video conferences. And so on. I really want to be able to use it for work, but I can't spend like an hour a day tinkering with issues.

In that regard macOS still wins - in the last 10 years using macs I think I've put down a grand total of about 0 hours trying to get hardware to work (screens, printers, keyboard layouts and such), fixing network issues and such. I know the "it just works" is a cliché and it has a lot of issues, but it IS reliable.

Comment

stingray454 macbooks have several non standard hardware way of doing stuff, that are several workaround in kernel/driver to it's quirks

Comment

Whenever a new version of OS X comes out the first question is: How much of my information is going to be uploaded surreptitiously to various servers? (Are these going to be Apple servers only, or will Apple continue to also send users' data to 3rd parties like Microsoft?)

The second question is: How impossible is it to harden the OS to a satisfactory level (particularly in terms of making the changes actually stick and undocumented features)?

The third question is: Is Apple going to start letting users see and manage (with easy GUI tools) all the special metadata the company keeps adding?

The fourth question is: How much obsolete/insecure stuff is the OS shipping with?

The fifth question is: How many things have been changed for change's sake, leading to the resulting productivity loss?

The sixth question is: How much software has Apple broken?

The seventh question is: Has Apple finally managed to make it easy to fully uninstall software (and manage it via the included GUI tools)?

The eighth question is: How much more force-feeding is going to happen (e.g. software stores and proprietary product portals like iTunes)

The ninth question is: Is OS X verging on being as horrible, in terms of hostility toward the "user", as Windows 10?

The tenth question is: How many non-UI usability/reliability regressions have been added, in terms of things like 'dog and pony' encryption and 'gee whiz' filesystems?

Instead, people focus on comparatively frivolous things like aesthetics. If people want to make computer screens easy on their eyes they should use f.lux.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  stingray454 macbooks have several non standard hardware way of doing stuff, that are several workaround in kernel/driver to it's quirks
                  I know :/. There was a lot of issues, but most I could work around. Things like screen brightness not working (made some scripts to solve that), camera drivers being out of date (works but with bad quality, unreliable), had to disable some power state to not have it run at 100% cpu sometime and such. But still most of the problems weren't actually mac hardware issues, more like OS config and troubleshooting weird software issues under linux. While mac hardware seems to have a lot of issues, I've had similar linux issues on desktop computers too.

I'm sure you could get it set up on good hardware so that everything works nicely, but it sure feels like it would take a bunch of time to work out all the quirks instead of not having to care at all under macOS. I hope to one day be able to use linux for my daily work, but while macOS gives a "spend 100% of your time on the actual work and the OS handles everything else seamlessly" it will be hard to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

It is like that since the beginning, and it won't change

Bye bye linux, even with Valve's Proton, macOS shows better numbers
                    Proton is recent solution and officially supported games list is pretty short. I wouldn't say "bye bye" to it now. Steam Play supports only Linux now, on macOS you can't run Windows games from native client. macOS numbers on Steam Survey isn't very big comparing to Linux. It just "little better" than Linux, that's all.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Is that one reason to kill Linux?

OK, please tell me. Can you use OpenGL 4.5 on macOS?
                    Who need OpenGL on macOS? macOS has glorious Metal so it doesn't need crappy OpenGL or Vulkan. <sarcasm-off>

Comment

Working...
                    X