Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Long-Awaited Haiku Operating System Beta Should Be Days Away

Phoronix: The Long-Awaited Haiku Operating System Beta Should Be Days Away

The Haiku operating system has been in development since 2002 as an open-source BeOS-inspired platform and nearly a decade since they reached the alpha stage for their first release, they are nearly ready to deliver the beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember going to a BeOS demonstration one night at NYU years ago. it seemed to be an exciting OS at the time. but then it died afterwards. I wish it had been continued as i think it would have matured into something great. They ran it on their BeBox which had 2 CPUs. We talked about it until very late into the night afterwards.

Comment

The documentation describes the ARM port as being very incomplete, which is too bad. I'd love to see an OS a little leaner than Linux and a little more modern than RiscOS.

Comment

I've still got my BeOS to install CD in a drawer next to my home desktop. I will definitely be checking out haiku at some point.

Comment

But does it run Crysis, and come with an NVidia graphic driver? https://www.phoronix.com/forums/node/1045439

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            But does it run Crysis, and come with an NVidia graphic driver? https://www.phoronix.com/forums/node/1045439
            Only in 2D VESA mode.

Comment

I still think it would have been easier to poach the proprietary source code for some agreed sale price and release the whole thing under the GPL.

I mean -- it's been years and probably made them close to $0 in profits.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

Only in 2D VESA mode.
                yep, that was irony to all the nvidia fanboys ;-)

Btw. I had some beos 5? or so personal edition hardcover box, can't find it anymore, no idea what happened to it, also tried the Haiku Alpha in a VM some year ago. Wish them good luck, would be great to have some more UI / multimedia focused OS between all the same Linux / BSD Un*x legacy, ..!

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

yep, that was irony to all the nvidia fanboys ;-)

Btw. I had some beos 5? or so personal edition hardcover box, can't find it anymore, no idea what happened to it, also tried the Haiku Alpha in a VM some year ago. Wish them good luck, would be great to have some more UI / multimedia focused OS between all the same Linux / BSD Un*x legacy, ..!
                  I never thought any of the crytech stuff looked very appealing. On nvidia myself but not a huge fan. I actually encourage people to buy AMD. Back in 2017 stuff did not appear to be quite as good as it is now for AMD.

Last edited by creative; 08 September 2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X