The GTX 1080 Pascal Linux OpenGL / OpenCL / Vulkan Benchmarks Begin Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I am actually interested to see how SLI works out under Linux with these cards. Be interesting to see what percentage of boost you get and if SLI is more effective with OGL under Linux then DX under Windows (SLI under Windows isn't that great, you get like 40% boost I hear).

I do know AMD Crossfire offers better dual card performance then SLI, but unfortunately that isn't available under Linux just yet (and it needs a bit of fixing in some areas).

If the game you play doesn't have a SLI profile you won't get any performance increase and most likely be better of just using 1 card. The only games with SLI profiles on Linux are Doom 3 and Serious Sam. SLI isn't something that you get for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Hopefully I am getting them for free... AMD has invited me out to California next week to discuss Polaris.
      Nice to hear. Maybe bridgman spoke to somebody

Now this is off topic, but every time I mention bridgman I have more to ask
      Can you talk about this event in California? Or do you know if your marketing guys are planning anything covering the Linux efforts?
      I hoped to see something about that at Computex, but there was only Windows, DX12, GPUOpen and of course Polaris and Bristol/Stoney Ridge.
      I have to read a lot of FUD about "the bad AMD Linux driver" in news and comments.
      Something like Alex' XDG presentation is a rough overview but maybe not very meaningful for potential future Linux users. A simple overview for not experienced users would be nice, stating the benefits of free software that matter to them (e.g. ootb compatibility with linux distributions) and the differences of the free and pro stacks. Maybe also mention the ROC efforts. Yes, there is something on gpuopen but this blog is kind of strange and only serves noshes.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
        Nice to hear. Maybe Guest spoke to somebody

Can you talk about this event in California? Or do you know if your marketing guys are planning anything covering the Linux efforts?
        I hoped to see something about that at Computex, but there was only Windows, DX12, GPUOpen and of course Polaris and Bristol/Stoney Ridge.
        I have to read a lot of FUD about "the bad AMD Linux driver" in news and comments.
        Something like Alex' XDG presentation is a rough overview but maybe not very meaningful for potential future Linux users. A simple overview for not experienced users would be nice, stating the benefits of free software that matter to them (e.g. ootb compatibility with linux distributions) and the differences of the free and pro stacks. Maybe also mention the ROC efforts. Yes, there is something on gpuopen but this blog is kind of strange and only serves noshes.
        It's since I didn't go to the event in Macau. Still waiting to hear if Linux will be covered... Told them I'd go as long as it's not all about directX and Windows.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

SLI with Linux is basically useless. There is an option you can use for Doom 3/Quake 4 but with my GTX 295 this was more or less pointless.

Comment

Multi-GPU on Linux (Crossfire or SLI) is pretty much a lost cause. That might change in the future with Vulkan, but even that isn't a free lunch since it requires the game developer to actually properly use multiple GPUs... and lots of game developers clearly have issues writing proper code just for one GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              Multi-GPU on Linux (Crossfire or SLI) is pretty much a lost cause. That might change in the future with Vulkan, but even that isn't a free lunch since it requires the game developer to actually properly use multiple GPUs... and lots of game developers clearly have issues writing proper code just for one GPU.
              I'm not sure about you guys but I had 2 8800 gtx cards running with sli and every single game I threw to it ran with better fps than with sli turned off. So in my testing there was an evident advantage on using SLI, even for old games like openarena. And yes, this was on Linux, lasted until both card capacitors exploded (cheap manufacturer) and I decided to replace them with a single card that could do the job well.

Comment

I am actually interested to see how SLI works out under Linux with these cards. Be interesting to see what percentage of boost you get and if SLI is more effective with OGL under Linux then DX under Windows (SLI under Windows isn't that great, you get like 40% boost I hear).

I do know AMD Crossfire offers better dual card performance then SLI, but unfortunately that isn't available under Linux just yet (and it needs a bit of fixing in some areas).
                Frankly, I had 0 performance boost with SLI set up a few years ago, in some games it was actually negative performance. I have not heard anywhere that SLI was improved in any way.
                I wont ever buy SLI. I have burned my fingers with it once.(bought second hand GPU a few years ago, which wasn't bad deal, later I gave it to some kid I know).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  It's since I didn't go to the event in Macau. Still waiting to hear if Linux will be covered... Told them I'd go as long as it's not all about directX and Windows.
                  OK cool. Hope there's something interesting and not w+d3d all over.
                  Just out of curiosity: do you get invited to events by Intel or Nvidia or some other manufacturer once in a while?

Comment

SLI works great on these cards, providing the support is in the software you are running. Sadly enough, there are almost no Linux games with multi-GPU support. As with the support for stereoscopy, the Linux support is there for professional customers.

SLI and CrossFireX works fine in games which offer good multi-GPU support. For games which are having troubles scaling well with AFR, this is caused by bottlenecks such as synchronization problems, game tick rate or other design faults or CPU bottlenecks. If you have a game that runs at 60 FPS with one GPU, and you want it to run at 120 FPS with two GPUs, then the game needs to be able to run at that framerate without any problems on a hypothetical twice as fast GPU for starters. Engine bottlenecks is the reason why some games scale well up to tree GPUs but get little gains from four GPUs.

But in general there are very few games which scales well with multi-GPU, even among "AAA" titles. Unfortunately multi-GPU is not a priority among game developers. Games can scale well if it's implemented properly, but I'm afraid this wouldn't happen anytime soon. Anyway, AMD should start by fixing their stuttering problems, which are bad with a single GPU but terrible with multiple GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                      Nice to hear. Maybe bridgman spoke to somebody

Unfortunately just heard back from the PR lady that there is no Linux, so sounds like she says it's not worth me going.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X