Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color-Coding Graphs To Match Brands Being Benchmarked

Phoronix: Color-Coding Graphs To Match Brands Being Benchmarked

With the recent call for comments on improving result graphs, one of the requests that's also been iterated before is for on bar graphs to color them to match the brand of, e.g. the graphics card being tested...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good idea, wrong colors picked.

Bleak green + white letters is no no.
    Intense red + white letters is BIG NO.

Either saturated but darker green/red/blue and bold, big letters.
    Or big, black letters.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

Or big, black letters.
      I did a color picker basically off the NVIDIA/AMD logos. If you have specific HTML hex code recommendations, feel free to share; It's not news I really hate color / UI design. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Could you look into how to make the JPEG compression not drop information for colors? The red bar in particular has pretty bad compression artifacts. This can happen with JPEG because the picture is split into gray-scale and color data which are then compressed differently. By default, the gray-scale parts get to keep the full resolution of the picture but the colors are turned into 2x2 pixel blocks or something. You can disable that behavior and then JPEG will be completely fine for graphics like this. You can for example see that the black on white text parts of the image look perfectly fine, and the red bar can be just as sharp.

EDIT: The name for this behavior seems to be "chroma sub-sampling".
        Last edited by Ropid; 17 September 2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ropid View Post
          Could you look into how to make the JPEG compression ....
          Anyway, png is better suited for that kind of graphics. With PNGs you will keep crystal clear graphs and you will save bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ropid View Post
            Could you look into how to make the JPEG compression not drop information for colors? The red bar in particular has pretty bad compression artifacts. This can happen with JPEG because the picture is split into gray-scale and color data which are then compressed differently. By default, the gray-scale parts get to keep the full resolution of the picture but the colors are turned into 2x2 pixel blocks or something. You can disable that behavior and then JPEG will be completely fine for graphics like this. You can for example see that the black on white text parts of the image look perfectly fine, and the red bar can be just as sharp.

EDIT: The name for this behavior seems to be "chroma sub-sampling".
            It's just JPEG since I took a screenshot of my desktop and just quickly uploaded it... Just meant as a proof of concept image. OpenBenchmarking.org (and in Phoronix articles) serve SVG graphs; or PNG graphs in case of no JavaScript or on outdated browser.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

Or big, black letters.
              I'll see if I can get contrast calculation into the code. I share interest in this.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I'll see if I can get contrast calculation into the code. I share interest in this.
                Great, thanks! Let me know if you run into any questions, etc.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

I don't personally have this problem, but isn't red and green the two colors that people with color blindness have difficulty recognizing? According to this link as many as 8% of people from european ancestry suffer from it.
                  If you have color blindness, it means you see colors differently than most people. Most of the time, color blindness makes it hard to tell the difference between certain colors. Read about the types of color blindness and its symptoms, risk factors, causes, diagnosis, and treatment.

Comment

See if the colors i picked work better: nvidia = #389B38, radeon = #BC1616, Intel = #2040A0.

PS: You beat me to it, i'm waiting for the weekend, hopefully i'm not as busy then.

Comment

Working...
                    X