Our Linux Benchmarking Power Use Still Around 3,000 kWh A Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Thankfully it doesn't work like that in the US.
    Actually it does. While those may just be the South Bend, IN zoning violations, and every municipality has different laws, they are fairly indicative of zoning laws throughout the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
      In some states, it would be around $250 for 3,000kWh.
      I just did some brief LibreOffice magic to calculate how much 3000kWh would cost where I am. My naive calculations show $270 for usage, based on current time-of-use rates (16.1?, 12.2?, 8? per kWh). Converted, that's about $203 US Dollars, which doesn't seem so bad, initially.

However, consider I used 650kWh last month, giving me $64 in usage charges, but my electricity bill was actually $110 (regulatory charges, debt retirement charges, delivery charges, and HST. And that's after the government-imposed 10% discount on the bill). I'm not sure what the exact rates for any of those charges are (other than 13% HST). That bill could easily be noticeably higher.

That said, I believe business are billed at different rates, so it would depend on the hydro service installed (personal vs business).

Granted, my math has flaws in it. I assumed constant load, instead of shifting workloads to night hours. And I didn't factor in weekends, which run at the base 8? for the whole day. And I didn't actually look up what charges he would be hit with, or the actual rates for businesses. I actually put more effort into typing this comment than the actual math?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

Actually it does. While those may just be the South Bend, IN zoning violations, and every municipality has different laws, they are fairly indicative of zoning laws throughout the United States.
        I already recognized zoning, but what you are saying is a blanket statement that just isn't true.
        More research showing how prevalent home-based businesses are. The majority of startups and established small businesses are run from home in the U.S.
        Last edited by duby229; 15 September 2015, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

I've lived in a small and mid-sized town in two different southern states. Both zoning boards said the same thing -- if your business in your home does not appreciably change traffic patterns to and from your house, then you don't need to worry about requesting a zoning change to run the business out of your home. In other words -- no customers on premises and any shipping/receiving is done via standard USPS, UPS or other carrier trucks that are going through the neighborhood anyway. If neighbors complain, however, there could be an issue.

Comment

This might be a unpopular viewpoint, but I don't care at all about the benchmarks of hardware, I care a little bit about the benchmarks of some software, and I am unexcited about subscribing when I know my money will go toward the hardware benchmarks I don't care about. I read phoronix for software and hardware news, and occasionally for software benchmarks of specific new software (i.e. filesystem comparisons (but really, I don't care about 20 graphs and no text in an article, I'd rather get two graphs and two paragraphs)).

Comment

Working...
            X