No announcement yet.

Our Linux Benchmarking Power Use Still Around 3,000 kWh A Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only machines that are supporting WoL turn off when no tests are running. Phoromatic handles all the auto power on and off when the system supports it.

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    So this kwh is from people doing tests which manually brings on each machine, and not from all units on all the time?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As for getting more money, most of your tests are pretty boring for an end-user and a gamer. I've seen many people ask for newer games, but you keep wanting automated benchmark stuff to be built into them, and not many have them. The problem here is relying too much on your own automated stuff, if you took a little bit more time to manually test newer and more advanced games people might be a bit more appreciative. Heck, having newer games in the titles of your articles alone would generate more hits for you (trust me, I know looking at my own stats). How many times do people want you to benchmark openarena, seriously?

You tend to go for quantity over quality rather often with your benchmarking and articles, you write a lot about really random projects "here there and everywhere" reaching some random new version, it's going to give you a lot of content, but is it content the majority want to read? Like here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1.5.1-Released
      Zero comments on that one, with three lines of "content", there's many more like it I can pull out quite easily.

There's also the matter of source links, please link to the sources of your content, it doesn't do you any favours when you don't. I'm not pointing out any articles in particular, because you would know when you write them.

That's my honest feedback right now.

Comment

That's huge amount of energy when most of the benchmarks are utter bullshit. For example USB stick benchmarks never test file systems that 99.999% of people use such as FAT32 or ExFAT. RAID benchmarks where raid-0 is almost 4 times faster than single disk (ridiculous). Just to sum up some idiotic examples I've seen.

One 300W machine running benchmarks 8h per day every day uses 72 kWh. That's ~42 machines running tests non-stop every day for 8 hours. And yet this all results in something like one reported benchmark per day?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          That's huge amount of energy when most of the benchmarks are utter bullshit. For example USB stick benchmarks never test file systems that 99.999% of people use such as FAT32 or ExFAT. RAID benchmarks where raid-0 is almost 4 times faster than single disk (ridiculous). Just to sum up some idiotic examples I've seen.

One 300W machine running benchmarks 8h per day every day uses 72 kWh. That's ~42 machines running tests non-stop every day for 8 hours. And yet this all results in something like one reported benchmark per day?
          Yeah, that's a lot of the problem, people reading the site don't really see all that much out of all the benchmarking except when Michael puts it in a main article, so they will be wondering why they should donate. This is something Michael needs to solve if he wants to keep it up.

Like there's no "latest benchmarks" section showing off the stuff coming in from him and others benchmarking with it.

Comment

Tell your electric company what is going before they report you to the cops as a grow operation. Don't want your door broken down at 5AM by the SWAT team.

Comment

Then I'd have a real nice legal case on my hands to pay for Phoronix operations...

Originally posted by jonsmirl View Post
              Tell your electric company what is going before they report you to the cops as a grow operation. Don't want your door broken down at 5AM by the SWAT team.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

I'm mainly only watching this site from time to time to see some software news. About 2-3 years earlier I watched the graphic cards benchmarks (in the end I did not need the benchmarks as I worried too much about the graphic drivers). I also watched the CPU benchmarks which where more useful.

Regarding the benchmarking and its value. The benchmarks are useful if one needs new hardware and knows exactly what he needs
                in terms of performance. So I think that this has value for few people. Another problem is that the site Phoronix does not contain
                any info about these benchmarks except the articles. If someone is new to this site does he know that this service exists? If there aren't
                any aricles at the main page the only hint about the benchmarks are the following links: Phoronix Test Suite, OpenBenchmarking.org,
                Phoromatic, LinuxBenchmarking.com
                Only the second link contains the benchmarks and the the title atop these links (Phoronix Media) does not help too.

Hope this is useful.

Comment

Originally posted by jonsmirl View Post
                  Ha ha, that's what I thought too.

As for some of the other posters, nice to see all the armchair experts are out in force giving their oh so self-righteous opinions on what Michael is doing wrong. 'If you did this that and the other I'd subscribe'. You know that's not really helpful? Personally I just think Phoronix is great, so I just subscribed. Happy to do my bit because Phoronix is one of a kind and I appreciate the work that goes into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Then I'd have a real nice legal case on my hands to pay for Phoronix operations...
                    No, you wouldn't. You'd end up with massive fines for running a "business" in an area zoned for strictly residential use.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

No, you wouldn't. You'd end up with massive fines for running a "business" in an area zoned for strictly residential use.
                      Not quite, already registered as a business and paying taxes to all local, state, and federal governments as a business.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X