No announcement yet.

Our Linux Benchmarking Power Use Still Around 3,000 kWh A Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So your servers cost around $296 a month, based on averaging multiple different suppliers using a few different online estimating tools. Just putting that out there.

Honestly, I find being more open with people has helped fund GamingOnLinux, we use Patreon so people can see exactly what we get. I imagine if you signed up for Patreon you would get that electricity cost funded every month easily.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Our Linux Benchmarking Power Use Still Around 3,000 kWh A Month

Besides getting a number of stitches to my foot this weekend in the hospital, equally as painful was receiving the latest electric bill for our mass open-source / Linux benchmarking efforts. The power use over the past month was the second highest electrical use of the year...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Electric-Bill
      I dunno. From what I see all this automated benchmarking has about 0% value to your average reader. How many articles and ad views did it generate so far, excluding the ones about the costs it is causing?

It seems to be more of an expensive way to advertise your Phoronix Test Suite, Phoromatic, and OpenBenchmarking.org automated benchmarking software.

At least that is the impression I get from it.

Comment

You would think there would be a way to program some switches to only switch units on and run tests as needed?

Comment

It's called the Phoronix Test Suite's Phoromatic...

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
          You would think there would be a way to program some switches to only switch units on and run tests as needed?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

With the new OpenBenchmarking coming out later this year, the value will become EXTREMELY apparent for end-users/enthusiasts.

Originally posted by log0 View Post

I dunno. From what I see all this automated benchmarking has about 0% value to your average reader. How many articles and ad views did it generate so far, excluding the ones about the costs it is causing?

It seems to be more of an expensive way to advertise your Phoronix Test Suite, Phoromatic, and OpenBenchmarking.org automated benchmarking software.

At least that is the impression I get from it.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Given how well Intel kit always seems to come out of the reviews and benchmarking, perhaps you should see if they would contribute ? I was perfectly happy to sign up myself, so thanks for all your work.

Comment

Actually Intel OTC was going to do their first direct ad sponsorship last month, but the guy simply stopped responding to my emails after coming to an arrangement.... :/ since then have followed up multiple times but to no response.

Originally posted by brownsr View Post
                Given how well Intel kit always seems to come out of the reviews and benchmarking, perhaps you should see if they would contribute ? I was perfectly happy to sign up myself, so thanks for all your work.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

I doubt if your benchmarks are worth anything, because I don't see any messages from you on LKML https://www.google.pl/search?q=micha...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                  And I don't see any bug reports.

Just my $ 0.02 as a former linux kernel tester.

Comment

On a positive note, you should use less power this winter (depending on the temperature), by lessening cooling needs, and your systems helping to heat your house.

I would seriously consider suscribing to phoronix premium, despite my low student income, depending on the price (I am on mobile right now, it would be rather painful to check it while writing this message), and some other factors, such as :
                    - bug reports submitted to the adequate bug trackers
                    - maybe reducing the frequency at which you pest against adblock users and such (just filter it for premium users)
                    - more informative article titles and subtitles for premium users (no clickbait, direct to the point). You post a piece of news that could be summarised in either one. I don't mind you for doing this (everyone does it), I am just pointing out something that could be interesting for premium users.

I would be willing to bet that my first point is more of interest to premium suscribers than a peculiar benchmark request
                    Maybe being a bit more transparent about your funding would help, like liam pointed out (why not put a widget on the main page?).
                    So, there are my thoughts on your eternal funding problem.

P.S : Hats would be really neat, indeed. Just ask the community to design some, and give them a free hat for this, as well as each premium suscribtion :P This financial model seems to work for some.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      It's called the Phoronix Test Suite's Phoromatic...
                      So this kwh is from people doing tests which manually brings on each machine, and not from all units on all the time?
                      Last edited by liamdawe; 13 September 2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X