• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    ngix, good
    apache, not so good
    software and uplink more important than hardware and distribution
    Apache will do a perfectly fine job if configured by someone who knows what they are doing, the same goes for nginx. It's plenty easy to bottleneck your nginx performance.

Comment

Pages are slightly faster, images slightly slower than usual. Forum actions (posting, editing) are greatly slower, taking 10-15s.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        So today it's still slow for you? What country are you in?
        Right now it's fine.
        I am from the Netherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
          Right now it's fine.
          I am from the Netherlands.
          Great, hopefully the trimming of some fat from OpenBenchmarking.org helps things out...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
            And cloudflare not just aggressively spying who does what, but also actively hacking traffic. If you'll use Tor, you'll be asked to enter recaptcha http://tau.rghost.ru/8RvcpBBBK/image.png

Нееdless to say, cloudflare are not privacy friendly at all. They're exactly opposite of that.
            For Tor users out there, is it still prompting you? Just adjusted security level....
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Very slow here

I have a pretty fast internet connection, on a very fast machine, from the SF East Bay, CA. I just tested, and it took about 25 seconds to load openbenchmarking, the first load of this article en access to the forum was ok, but when I clicked to open the second page of comments, it took another 25s. Definitely much longer than usual.

Comment

Recapthca does NOT work with Tor

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                For Tor users out there, is it still prompting you? Just adjusted security level....
                In my experience, recaptcha is especially objectionable on Tor, as the exit node in question is usually somewhere with a different language than I speak. I can only read ONE human language, and recaptchas are often unsolvable without being able to make out whole words from only some readable characters. When I hit this, I generally go straight to "new user" and abandon any attempt to solve the captcha. If this does not work, I treat the website as broken for the day if it is something like Youtube/Google that I never connect to except by Tor.

Any time captchas are needed but Tor support is also needed, it must be presumed that users will not be able to solve anything as a word, only as a character string. This makes captchas weaker and prohibits use of recaptcha, but is the price of making it possible to use a website over Tor. A compromise is read-only access with no logins or posts accepted without the catcha, this blocks spam posts but not reading (by bots) of any spam that leaks.

In the work I do, ensuring that an activist website supports Tor users can be the key to keeping people out of jail, so this is something I follow closely. I have not in the past considered Phoronix a Tor-requiring site, but I can see circumstances in which ALL web activity would have to be over Tor. A good example would be any activist dodging warrants after cops assault a protest would need to use Tor for all connections as well as drop his/her cellphone in a vehicle going the wrong way.

Comment

Seems fine here

OpenBenchmarking seems faster. Home page maybe a bit too, the forums seem about the same.

Comment

The forum performance is better now for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                      I'd be curious if you want to try https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl ....

Site loads fine for me..
                      And what is the point of doing so? Just to provide FALSE sense of security? As far as I can remember, it is cloudflare who does SSL traffic termination. Then cloudflare can see all unencrypted traffic anyway. And I'm not really sure if bunch of routers on the way (and NSA spyware here) are anyhow worse than bunch of cloudflare servers (and NSA spyware here). Especially granted cloudflare explicitly hijacks traffic and inserts own content at will.

Comment

Working...
                      X