Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Akka View Post
    You hardly save any time with Ubuntu over Arch. Arch isn't like slackware was 1996. Everything more or less works out of the box, just like with Ubuntu. Probably because most of the software is identical in all distros. You don't get Unity and you don't get upstart, the rest don't differ that much. My theory is people exaggerate their difficulties with Arch as some sort of identifications. My impression is Arch is way more stable than a new release from Canonical. Probably Ubuntu is more stable one month after release or something like that.
    I'm sure just about anything is better than Slackware from 1996! Arch sounds like a solid distro. Personally Ubuntu has filled my computer needs and thus am interested in seeing its continued use in testing here at Phoronix. Hate me all you want but I really like Unity. I like the left hand icons. The context search works great for me as well.

Perhaps I'll toss Arch in a VM for a test. That and a new Fedora, I'm intrested in how thats changed over the years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Akka View Post
      You hardly save any time with Ubuntu over Arch. Arch isn't like slackware was 1996. Everything more or less works out of the box, just like with Ubuntu. Probably because most of the software is identical in all distros. You don't get Unity and you don't get upstart, the rest don't differ that much. My theory is people exaggerate their difficulties with Arch as some sort of identifications. My impression is Arch is way more stable than a new release from Canonical. Probably Ubuntu is more stable one month after release or something like that.
      Actually you can instal Unity and even upstart on Arch Linux. Also freetype2-ubuntu is in the AUR. You can use it to get nicer fonts or use freetype2-infinality , which most Archers use. Unity on Arch is pretty well maintained by one guy, who even set up his own binary repo. Haven't tried it and would not recommend it since it replaces a lot of Arch packages with Ubuntu patched packages. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125423&p=1 Just look at that size and age of that thread. This guy does amazing work for years now. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity

I agree that people exaggerate the difficulty. If you don't know what you are doing it might take a bit longer to install. After you have your dream setup just keep rolling. The official repos are very stable. It hasn't broken on my from an update in 2 years. In the beginning I borked it myself 2-3 times, because I was adventurous and tried stupid things. Just don't treat you installation like a sandbox, which can be hard since Arch offers you all that new and shiny stuff and that experimental XY filesystem etc. or you'll try to replace xserver-common with that xwayland enable xserver from the user repo and things don't go that well.
      Last edited by blackout23; 02 August 2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Actually you can instal Unity and even upstart on Arch Linux. Also freetype2-ubuntu is in the AUR. You can use it to get nicer fonts or use freetype2-infinality , which most Archers use. Unity on Arch is pretty well maintained by one guy, who even set up his own binary repo. Haven't tried it and would not recommend it since it replaces a lot of Arch packages with Ubuntu patched packages. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125423&p=1 Just look at that size and age of that thread. This guy does amazing work for years now. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity

I agree that people exaggerate the difficulty. If you don't know what you are doing it might take a bit longer to install. After you have your dream setup just keep rolling. The official repos are very stable. It hasn't broken on my from an update in 2 years. In the beginning I borked it myself 2-3 times, because I was adventurous and tried stupid things. Just don't treat you installation like a sandbox, which can be hard since Arch offers you all that new and shiny stuff and that experimental XY filesystem etc. or you'll try to replace xserver-common with that xwayland enable xserver from the user repo and things don't go that well.
        upstart eww that thing is Useless any more really was before any ways as it was not a real fix like systemd is

"Warning: Almost all packages related to Unity in AUR are outdated. Do not mix those packages with the ones provided from the repository"

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          upstart eww that thing is Useless any more really was before any ways as it was not a real fix like systemd is

"Warning: Almost all packages related to Unity in AUR are outdated. Do not mix those packages with the ones provided from the repository"
          480 posts. At this point, all you are doing is

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
            480 posts. At this point, all you are doing is
            you really hate horseys

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              you really hate horseys
              You're such a fucking moron. He likes bats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                You're such a fucking moron. He likes bats!
                people like strange things

Comment

• Too bad I cant select several options.

Too bad I cant select several options. For example, I would be interested to see: Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu (they can show different performance due to different compositors/display server stuff). Then Fedora and OpenSUSE could also be nice to have around. But poll only provides one option to choose, unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                    Too bad I cant select several options. For example, I would be interested to see: Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu (they can show different performance due to different compositors/display server stuff). Then Fedora and OpenSUSE could also be nice to have around. But poll only provides one option to choose, unfortunately.
                    It is understandably quite some effort to benchmark more than one distribution, and that is the reason why a core distribution is to be selected.
                    As it stands now, Ubuntu is the most popular distribution. It helps more visitors when they read about their distribution.
                    In addition, there is an LTS version that will stay for long, and the current version that is up to date with all core packages.

Comment

• Originally posted by barryr View Post
                      It is understandably quite some effort to benchmark more than one distribution, and that is the reason why a core distribution is to be selected.
                      As it stands now, Ubuntu is the most popular distribution. It helps more visitors when they read about their distribution.
                      In addition, there is an LTS version that will stay for long, and the current version that is up to date with all core packages.
                      Just a pity it is an island of its' own not using any of the core elements that all the other distros will use. Bye bye Ubuntu...

Comment

Working...
                      X