Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nll_a
    When he says GNU/Linux, I think he actually means GNU+Linux+Wayland+SystemD+WhateverTheRestOfTheHerd WillBeUsingOnTheirAbacuses. Ubuntu will be GNU+Linux+Upstart+Mir+Unity+OtherGoodies -- still GNU/Linux.
    i see it this way
    Ubuntu will be CLA+BSD+Upstart+Mir+Unity+QT+OtherJunk

Comment

• Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Since you apparently have selective comprehension, let me point out that there is no clear majority in this poll and Ubuntu is the leading vote-getter (so far). That's okay though, just keep seeing what you want to see...
      Actually since 3 of the options are Ubuntu or derivatives they do make the by far and away the largest vote getter with as of right now 195 out of 650 total votes.

Remember Xubuntu and Mint are just Ubuntu with a different default desktop. No different then the various spins of Fedora. https://spins.fedoraproject.org/
      Last edited by Kivada; 29 July 2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I think he actually means GNU+Linux+Wayland+SystemD+WhateverTheRestOfTheHerd WillBeUsingOnTheirAbacuses. Ubuntu will be GNU+Linux+Upstart+Mir+Unity+OtherGoodies -- still GNU/Linux.
        no i mean GNU/Linux+open and community supported projects instead of GNUish/Linux + vendor dependant projects, for the second ill preffer to stay with mac or Windows, i mean canonical can do whatever the hell they want, is the mockery facade that piss me off, just say we go commercial put a price and sell your stuff.

anyway i keep a swing bottle in my desk to celebrate the day canonical goes their own way and stop claiming to be linux or fill bankruptcy

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          1.) you can check easily uncompressing an mesa ubuntu src-deb
          Doing reguarly. Most of the patches are from Debian Unstable.
          2-4.) are ubuntu specific since nobody else use it or can build it without break upstream packages
          Maybe you didn't know that RHEL6 uses Upstart as its Init-System.
          5.) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh, sure not that bad but it can get really annoying sometimes
          Did you even read the linked article? The "D" in "Dash" stands for "Debian". Debian has used "Dash" for years and Ubuntu only followed Debian.
          6.) check most common upstreams repos history and see for yourself
          Providing code isn't the only way to improve Linux in general. And there is absoletely no
          7.) samba4 is broken and there is a notice in a fix PPA[miss all FS module but the config file call them], openafs have to be compiled by hand if you want it to work, RBD is problematic, many raid controllers give weird failures that get fixed switching to pure debian kernels and some other annoyance now and then
          Samba4 is also broken in Debian.

Your problem is that you want to hate Ubuntu and Canonical and you are trying to find "facts" to prove that your hate is right. If Ubuntu and Canonical wouldn't exist, you would possibly focus your hate on another distribution, company or project (Maybe RedHat because they are making money from selling Linux?).

Comment

Hey mister, it's SystemD which is trying to replace Upstart, did you not know that? Even Red Hat Enterprise Linux uses it, at least for now.

And please, I take Unity over Gnome Shell anytime, and a lot of people is with me on this!
            Systemd and Upstart are not the Same thing at all so what you're saying is invalid
            Last edited by LinuxGamer; 29 July 2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by glasen View Post
              Your problem is that you want to hate Ubuntu and Canonical and you are trying to find "facts" to prove that your hate is right. If Ubuntu and Canonical wouldn't exist, you would possibly focus your hate on another distribution, company or project (Maybe RedHat because they are making money from selling Linux?).
              You got him right there in a nut shell. Lol.

Did you know that www.redhat.com doesn't mention linux on its main page either? And we all know that the about page where its mentioned twice in the about page, but doesn't count, because jrch2k8 told us so. But sssssshhhhhh, don't mention this inconvenient fact to jrch2k8 or it might disturb his little make-believe world he has buried his eyes behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                You got him right there in a nut shell. Lol.

Did you know that www.redhat.com doesn't mention linux on its main page either? And we all know that the about page where its mentioned twice in the about page, but doesn't count, because jrch2k8 told us so. But sssssshhhhhh, don't mention this inconvenient fact to jrch2k8 or it might disturb his little make-believe world he has buried his eyes behind.

yeah but

About Red Hat
                What began as a better way to build software?openness, transparency, collaboration?soon shifted the balance of power in an entire industry. The revolution of choice continues. Today Red Hat? is the world's most trusted provider of Linux? and open source technology. Learn more about Red Hat.
                What began as a better way to build software openness, transparency, collaboration soon shifted the balance of power in an entire industry. The revolution of choice continues.

Comment

OpenSUSE is not GNU/LINUX because its theme is green instead of the blue+silver the other desktops use!!!! (See, I can do that too! =D)

Mir, Unity, Ubuntu Touch, and the other projects are all open to community code, and you can use them in your distro, fork them or do whatever else you want. Is that not enough?

(You may also print the code and piss on it, if that will make you feel better and stop trolling. =])
                  What a sad, sad life you live. It must suck to be you.
                  hmm main page http://www.opensuse.org/en/

"openSUSE is a free and Linux-based operating system for your PC, Laptop or Server. You can surf the web, manage your e-mails and photos, do office work, play videos or music and have a lot of fun!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    Actually since 3 of the options are Ubuntu or derivatives they do make the by far and away the largest vote getter with as of right now 195 out of 650 total votes.

Remember Xubuntu and Mint are just Ubuntu with a different default desktop. No different then the various spins of Fedora. https://spins.fedoraproject.org/
                    We won't know until the second round. If there will be a second round, that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      yeah but

About Red Hat
                      What began as a better way to build software?openness, transparency, collaboration?soon shifted the balance of power in an entire industry. The revolution of choice continues. Today Red Hat? is the world's most trusted provider of Linux? and open source technology. Learn more about Red Hat.
                      http://www.redhat.com/about/

Wait..... your confusing me. Do you think I am the one that doesn't think about pages count and the main page must say linux on it? Because that is jrch2k8 who said that. Look back a few pages ago. I was mocking him. Debian also doesn't have linux on its main page, but its about page does. Ubuntu.com is the same way, no linux on the main page, but it is on the about page.

Comment

Working...
                      X