Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Belial View Post
    The rest should function fine under XMir.
    No, not really. Just a few days ago I talked with a friend of mine, who has made an IDE and wishes to port it to Linux. His initial plan was to just use XCB, but then I informed him about the whole Mir/Wayland situation. If he was to choose to use either Mir or Wayland directly, the other one wouldn't be able to run the program. He instead decided to port the program to Qt, but there will surely be people who would choose to create a program that talks directly to Mir or Wayland, locking the other one out.

Comment

• Originally posted by verde View Post
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
      or

Dash>Privacy>Include online results = "off"

That simple..

PS. it is worth to wonder how it is possible advanced PC users, running more complicated distos on their own PC, that cant deactivate a setting like this. I wonder how much easier or effective is to avoid "spying" during their Internet browsing.

Don't they search via Google/Bing/Yahoo?
      Don't they use Facebook/Twitter/Google+?
      Don't they watch videos on Youtube?
      Don't they have been recorded by their internet provider every single minute?

Internet privacy? what is this?

The most wise thing a geek friend told me was "safe PC is the turned off PC"
      Lawl! And spyware vs not-so-spyware is distinguished by opt-out vs opt-in. Ubuntu is opt-out, so its spyware.

Don't they have been recorded by their internet provider every single minute?
      I am sure, Snowden can comment on this.
      Last edited by brosis; 28 July 2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brosis View Post
        At least you could have the decency to link to the English page, considering this is an English speaking site and forum.

Also Ghostery doesn't do jack.
        Last edited by synaptix; 28 July 2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• well this should be disable by default and after install present the user with the option to choose what to share, otherwise is simply an spyware in camouflage.

i insist BSD model is more suited for ubuntu for the same reasons[almost] that Apple choosed it

Comment

• Do you people not realize that all of this bickering and babbling make no sense?

This whole poll could be considered useless.

A sample size of less than 1000 to represent the opinions of "tens of millions" or "more"?

The results from this poll are of no statistical significance.

...and some of these posts... oh boy... It's like I'm reading opinions made by children from a grade school class I once taught.

I really cannot imagine some of you are grown men and women of at least 18 years of age.
            Last edited by jayrulez; 28 July 2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              This isn't about what you care about.
              Yes it is. Re-read the article:
              (?) there's now a Linux distribution poll to vote (once) on the Linux distribution you would like to see tested the most at Phoronix

Comment

• Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                At least you could have the decency to link to the English page, considering this is an English speaking site and forum.

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                Also Ghostery doesn't do jack.

Comment

• Originally posted by verde View Post
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
                  or

Dash>Privacy>Include online results = "off"

That simple..
                  Simple or difficult is the same. We're not talking about how easy it is to disable lens.
                  Canonical-Ubuntu is distributed with spyware installed and enabled by default.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                    This whole poll could be considered useless.

A sample size of less than 1000 to represent the opinions of "tens of millions" or "more"?

The results from this poll are of no statistical significance.
                    No. This poll is made to represent the opinion of the Phoronix forums, which is the target audience of Michael's tests. Nothing more. Hence it's completely valid. It's not a poll on what is the most used distribution.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      if the difference is less than 5%, it's statistically insignificant,
                      That's not how sampling statistics work. You can have a significant difference of less than 5%. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

Comment

Working...
                      X