Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertisements On Phoronix

At Phoronix, we work very hard to provide you with quality content and the very latest Linux Hardware news and reviews.

I would like to bring to your attention that advertisements comprise 100% of our revenue. We do not currently ask for donations or sponsorships or require subscriptions to see the latest content. Our revenue is suffering every day because of adblock users. We are proud that the majority of our user base supports and uses Firefox and other open-source web browsers. Unfortunately, along with Firefox's many capabilities it also gives users an easy way to block advertisements and banners. Since our user base is more tech savvy (we are proud of this I might add) than our Windows equivalent sites they do not feel the effects of ad blocking as profoundly as we do -- we are taking a tremendous loss that does hamper our growth.

While we understand advertisements can be annoying at times, we only serve minimal and needed advertisements. Really it comes down to one along the top of the site and forum, and one at the left. There are a few Google advertisements and shopping advertisements also present on article pages. We do not (and never will) serve pop-ups, pop-unders, advertisements that talk to you and give you heart attacks, or annoying shoot the monkey ads that bounce across your screen. Our content is and always will be the our top priority, and we will never let our advertisements become intrusive.

What I am asking of you is simple. If you like what you read at Phoronix, support us by taking a minute disabling AdBlock or white-listing our site.

Sincerely,
    Michael Larabel
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

bump to top

Comment

You should disable the flash advertisements in the forum because they are over the pop-up menus.

Comment

I do not mind any advertisements that are simple and text-based but the animated and flash ones do get aggravating at times. But so far, none of the advertisements on this website are bad.

Comment

Turned off Ad-Block for phoronix.com, it's worth it.

Comment

A way of removing the ads by donating would be very nice. I would like to support the site, but the ads are just too damn annoying.

At the very least, a method of just donating would suffice. Adblock Plus with a few extra filters takes care of removing all the ads anyways.

EDIT: Perhaps donating could give you access to a RSS feed with the full content in it as well?
            Last edited by SamsLembas; 17 November 2007, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SamsLembas View Post
              A way of removing the ads by donating would be very nice. I would like to support the site, but the ads are just too damn annoying.

At the very least, a method of just donating would suffice. Adblock Plus with a few extra filters takes care of removing all the ads anyways.

EDIT: Perhaps donating could give you access to a RSS feed with the full content in it as well?
              We are looking at ways to do some of what you mentioned... As once I roll out our new (yet to be rolled out) ads, if you try to just use AdBlock Plus, it just won't work. And if you just become ultra liberal with the ad block settings, it will then block all of the images inside an article too.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Ok. Phoronix.com has been added to my whitelist.

Comment

See: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=phoronix_premium
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I must say, the prices are higher than I had anticipated. Still, I will probably end up getting one.

Any chances of a full-content RSS feed being one of the "future additions"? That would be one feature that would, in my mind, completely justify the high price. But perhaps it is impossible to limit the access to a RSS feed as would be required.

Comment

Working...
                    X