Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have the opposite problem. For the life of it, I can't see any ads neither on the site or forum. At home, I figured it's some adblock in the pfSense router interfering. At the moment though, I can't see ads on my phone nor on my laptop using public WiFi and having all adblocks disabled.

    EDIT: Ads seem to work now and became visible.
    Last edited by aht0; 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM.

    Comment


    • Can you please stop the big microsoft cloud ad who popup to my face multiple time everyday saying it's a sponsored phoronix message.

      it is highly annoying.

      Comment


      • After a click on it, it goes to track.celtra.com then redirect to cloudtransformation.cio.com/futurecast-transformation/

        Comment


        • There is an ad recently from Microsoft Cloud that is popping up a video covering the page with auto-load on mouseover.

          It is very annoying.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Ruediix View Post
            There is an ad recently from Microsoft Cloud that is popping up a video covering the page with auto-load on mouseover.

            It is very annoying.
            What country are you connecting from? Do you know the click URL of the ad so I can get it blocked? Thanks.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Michael View Post

              What country are you connecting from? Do you know the click URL of the ad so I can get it blocked? Thanks.
              United states, I copied the whole HTML of the ad here:
              https://pastebin.com/yHsBd2sx

              Sorry about misspelling Phoronix on the title.

              As a note they are seriously obfunctifying the url in that.

              They are also using javascript based click URL to prevent copying of the click URL (SERIOUSLY bad behavior, I think you should tell the ad provider that they should either stop it or you drop them in favor of a different ad provider.)

              The destination URL is
              http://cloudtransformation.cio.com/futurecast-cloud/

              I can't get the intermediary URL because it's obscrued in the source, and because it is using javascript to run the link instead of proper HTML linking.
              Last edited by Ruediix; 07-23-2017, 06:17 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Ruediix View Post

                United states, I copied the whole HTML of the ad here:
                https://pastebin.com/yHsBd2sx

                Sorry about misspelling Phoronix on the title.

                As a note they are seriously obfunctifying the url in that.

                They are also using javascript based click URL to prevent copying of the click URL (SERIOUSLY bad behavior, I think you should tell the ad provider that they should either stop it or you drop them in favor of a different ad provider.)

                The destination URL is
                http://cloudtransformation.cio.com/futurecast-cloud/

                I can't get the intermediary URL because it's obscrued in the source, and because it is using javascript to run the link instead of proper HTML linking.
                Thanks for reporting it, trying to track it down to get it blocked, hopefully will get some progress made it on by tomorrow.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • Hey Michael, i don't mind ads on Phoronix (in a select list of services) but in my case Adblock is installed at router level (Tomato..). I can't (in fact, don't want to) fully disable it but i can white-list your ads domain as an exception. Any chance you can provide this information?

                  Thanks,
                  a.

                  Comment


                  • I was just thinking about using a hosts file ad block app because of all the intrusive type ads lately. I'm just so done with it, I avoid certain sites because they basically hijack my tab until I close it. Though I've never really had an ad issue on phoronix...until now.

                    One of those ads that loads the page in binary format popped up here tonight. One of those ads that takes you to another site with your ISPs info on it and shows a huge alert window basically saying "You have a few viruses, install our virus to remove them." Tapping back just reloads the page, so there is no way out without killing the tab. At first I thought this kind of ad had to be an exploit in my local cache picked up from some janky website, but it happened once on the first page I visited after doing a wipe and complete device reflash.

                    As Michael probably uses an ad service to display the ads for him (no individual sponsorships) it would be the ad provider's fault for not filtering well enough. Despite that, I'm just done with these damn ads. When I install the blocker, I'll see what I can do about white listing phoronix but I don't think it's possible with a hosts level blocker.

                    Comment


                    • So, I whitelisted phoronix for a few days and got a full page ad. If you get the ads fixed so they are not intrusive, let me know, in the meantime I'm removing the whitelist on my blocker.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X