X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaven 4.0 benchmark - suggested improvements

Michael

Hello!

I have noticed a problem with your Heaven 4.0 benchmark on openbenchmarking.org .

The benchmark settings that you are using are non-standard, non-comparable to other results on the Internet, and those settings do not produce "sufficiently fair" results across architectures and generations of GPUs. There also a few other issues. I really like the Heaven benchmark otherwise, so I thought I could help there.

I can post the correct command lines for multiple benchmark settings, if you are interested. But it will be a long post, and requires some work from my side, so I would like a confirmation from you that you are interested (i.e. that you will at least read/consider what I write).

Are you interested?

This is the best I could figure out:
    The first issue is that other websites are testing with the TESSELLATION_EXTREME setting, but openbenchmarking.org doesn't specify the tessellation setting, so it defaults to TESSELLATION_NORMAL.
    However, that should only give 15% higher scores, but openbenchmarking.org results are higher 30% than expected (inconsistently).

I don't know where the remaining difference in FPS results comes from.
    Last edited by drastic; 07 October 2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Oh, I got it.
      Openbenchmarking omits the parameter
      -project_name "Heaven"
      That disables antialiasing. Since some GPUs are better at antialiasing, and some are worse, it produce s inconsistencies compared to results from other websites.

I think that testing with antialiasing=off will not produce representative results. Everyone has been using antialiasing for at least a few years.

Comment

I just tested it and I can confirm that you can get back antialiasing by adding the parameter:
        -video_multisample 3

To get extreme tesselation, use:
        Code:
        "PHORONIX,RELEASE,QUALITY_ULTRA,TESSELLATION_EXTREME"
        Also, I think that not setting video-mode is a really bad idea for many reasons.
        For 1280x720, use: -video_mode 3
        For 1600x900, use: -video_mode 5
        For 1920x1080, use: -video_mode 6

And I really think that fullscreen should not be allowed, for many many reasons, so that option should be disabled.

Comment

And I got many other details added here (but it is a long post):
          (edit / TLDR): Antialiasing is disabled on Openbenchmarking (but it shouldn't be), and also Tessellation:Normal is used instead of Tessellation:Extreme. As I have said in another thread, I have noticed a problem with the Heaven 4.0 benchmark on openbenchmarking.org . The benchmark settings that openbenchmarking.org is using

Comment

Michael
            I got you the solution, two posts above, if you are interested. Just a ping.

Comment

Working...
            X