No ads, but I'm not premium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No ads, but I'm not premium

On Firefox, I disabled the ad blocker (uBlock Origin) for the site, but I didn't see any ads. Then started a chromium instance, where I'm not logged in, and I still don't see any ads. I don't have a RPi with "Pi-hole" blocking ads either. Chromium doesn't have any add-ons at all and I'm not even logged in there.

I'm not complaining I don't see the ads, but since this is an important income source and I'm not premium (yet) I wanted to raise the flag to make sure Phoronix stays up and running and gets the income it deserves.

There is an HTML element to hold the ads by google, but it's always white for me. It takes a lot of space, but I see no content there. My chromium installation is not even configured nor customized, I don't use it at all.

(I don't have Chrome to try)

Is it happening to someone else?

I use pihole, that's why i cannot "whitelist" phoronix for example.
    whitelisting on pihole, would mean: whitelisting all the ad domains, that means in the end i whitelist every Webpage and everything, that means i can simply disable pihole entirely.

What i mean is, you case could be similar, i think into the direction of, maybe your router or in windows hosts file is something?
    /Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts (if i remember correctly)

Point is, if i disable pihole entirely for 10 minutes to surf on phoronix, there are a ton of ads.
    I mean i would still do that to support phoronix, and to be clear, only phoronix, since every other newsblog isn't worth it and didn't deserves it for theiry copy&paste or autogenerated or only klickbait "news".

Phoronix definitively deserves it, that i disable my ad-blocker as the only site. But i don't have any good solution to do that.

However what i want to say without talking to much around, if i disable pihole for some time to surf phoronix, there is an massive amount of ads.
    So much, that it's actually overwhelming 🙈

So you must have something, in the end we could simply share ad domains and you can check if you can "dig" or "nslookup" them.

Cheers

Comment

I guess then it's only me. I looked around and I really can't see any reasons for this. Maybe my ISP is blocking some common servers to reduce traffic? I really have no idea at this point. I'll look into it some day then.

Comment

I also noted that some days ago when using a fresh install in a VM with a clean browser.
        Originally posted by dc740 View Post
        I guess then it's only me.
        No I just checked with another browser, not logged in no ad-blocker, but also no ads.

Michael: you should check that out, maybe the percieved raise in ad-block usage is just some bug in your ad-delivery?

Comment

Some ISP (like mine) provide adblocking by default; maybe it is your case. Did you try disabling your adblocker on any other site?

Anyway, the best way to support Phoronix and not be annoyed by stupid ads without feeling bad about it is to get a subscription. I bought my lifetime after a few years of adblock on Phoronix and long articles are now much more convenient to read and Michael likely got more money from that than from me seeing annoying ads all that time.

Comment

Atleast here it's not my ISP, I can get ads on pretty much any site if I disable adblocker.

Comment

Working...
            X