Phoronix Dark Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Even better would be an "automatic" option that is based on the user's timezone, whereby light theme will be displayed during daylight hours, and dark theme starting at dusk. Of course it should be a toggle that can be disabled for those who don't care for such things.
    Well I like to have the dark theme even during daylight - I think in general with brighter LED displays of all kind we underestimate the impact on our retina. There are various studies on this topic - long term exposure might degenerate the retina especially if the LED's have to much of the blue spectrum.

Comment

Is there any news...? I almost avoid reading Phoronix at night

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I just started working on it, don't have it exposed yet.
        Hey Michael, I'll PayPal another lifetime subscriptions worth ($150 I think right?) when native dark mode is added - or up front if you say it'll happen in the next couple of months. Love the site but it's one of the last few I use that don't have a native dark theme .

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post

Hey Michael, I'll PayPal another lifetime subscriptions worth ($150 I think right?) when native dark mode is added - or up front if you say it'll happen in the next couple of months. Love the site but it's one of the last few I use that don't have a native dark theme .
          The main blocker I have at the moment is what to do about the graphs? Or are the existing white colored graphs okay if all news/content otherwise is dark themed?

The issue with the graphs is it coming from OpenBenchmarking.org and there I am not relying on CSS styling for a variety of reasons. So short of coming up with some hacks or having to generate graphs at OpenBenchmarking.org both for light and dark themes, that is the main issue at least for the site itself (haven't looked at forums dark theme yet).
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The main blocker I have at the moment is what to do about the graphs? Or are the existing white colored graphs okay if all news/content otherwise is dark themed?

The issue with the graphs is it coming from OpenBenchmarking.org and there I am not relying on CSS styling for a variety of reasons. So short of coming up with some hacks or having to generate graphs at OpenBenchmarking.org both for light and dark themes, that is the main issue at least for the site itself (haven't looked at forums dark theme yet).
            Hmm... are you pulling that as a cross domain iframe or SVG data direct? If the latter you can CSS style the SVG objects from the Phronix page CSS itself, the text color and graph background color are probably all that need to be styled this way - maybe not even the text depending on the shade chosen for the background. It's technically doable with iframes as well but the page has to inject the CSS into the iframe with CORS and that's getting to be a big hack considering how much you wanted to avoid CSS styling the graphs in the first place.

Anyways I would be good with bright graphs in a dark page in the meantime if it's something that can be set via a user preference toggle, I wouldn't recommend setting it that way for everyone with just a
            @media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) query in the CSS until the graph thing is figured out though as that's probably a bit jarring for the average user. Good 'nugh for me though .

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post

Or you could just use the Dark Reader add-on/extension available for Firefox/Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Or you could just use the Dark Reader add-on/extension available for Firefox/Chrome.
                I made sure to say native enough times that it even showed up twice in that quote yet I'm still being "informed" about non-native extensions .

Edit: Also Michael $150 sent 20577692030010388 for your efforts thus far, no pressure on making it happen any time soon just wanted to say thanks.

Comment

While I personally believe dark mode is terrible, choice is always nice

Comment

Working...
                  X