Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoronix Dark Theme

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phoronix Dark Theme

    I hope Michael will implement a dark theme for the site, and a simple way to switch between light and dark, just like Ars Technica have.

    For now I am using a css from userstyles.org with some of my own changes. If anyone wants the css I'll paste it somewhere, let me know. This is what it looks like:
    https://imgur.com/a/SNYHSXV


  • #2
    Your custom css is ok but people also use extensions like dark reader which change lots of sites to dark. But sure it is always better if the site offer official dark theme for their users. But remember that dark as black has same effect to your eyes than white. So dark as dark grey is better.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had the same idea and didn't check here first. Anyways, here is my userscript compatible solution: https://gist.github.com/carlzulauf/7...8b18da837c029b

      Comment


      • #4
        So dark as dark grey is better.
        My solution uses dark greys for background and really light greys for text/accents. No harsh extremes but enough contrast. Should be more readable than the default theme. Also, you can change the colors right at the top of the script.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by existensil View Post

          My solution uses dark greys for background and really light greys for text/accents. No harsh extremes but enough contrast. Should be more readable than the default theme. Also, you can change the colors right at the top of the script.
          I wholeheartedly agree.
          Last edited by tildearrow; 01-27-2020, 11:03 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lastranga View Post
            I hope Michael will implement a dark theme for the site, and a simple way to switch between light and dark, just like Ars Technica have.

            For now I am using a css from userstyles.org with some of my own changes. If anyone wants the css I'll paste it somewhere, let me know. This is what it looks like:
            https://imgur.com/a/SNYHSXV
            Even better would be an "automatic" option that is based on the user's timezone, whereby light theme will be displayed during daylight hours, and dark theme starting at dusk. Of course it should be a toggle that can be disabled for those who don't care for such things.

            Comment


            • #7
              I use this. Would love if Michael could implement this theme using the CSS prefers-color-scheme feature

              https://userstyles.org/styles/132012/dark-phoronix

              Comment


              • #8
                Actually the other day started toying with dark theme for premium members, hopefully will have it rolled out soon.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Actually the other day started toying with dark theme for premium members, hopefully will have it rolled out soon.
                  I don't see it. Or am I too late and you removed the option now?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                    I don't see it. Or am I too late and you removed the option now?
                    I just started working on it, don't have it exposed yet.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X