RadeonSI OpenGL vs. RADV Vulkan Performance For Mad Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xpander View Post

whats your CPU? this game is heavily cpu bound in opengl, singlethread perf is the thing that makes difference. Micheal has 7700K @4,5ghz, that will chew through that bottleneck .
    Some old AMD A8-7600 and yes it seems to be the bottleneck, even if the CPU never reaches even 80% on one core while running the game in openGL

Now tested with --feral-benchmark option

OpenGL: 2-10FPS
    RadV: 25-90FPS

(Mesa/LLVM git)

Thanks for this Feral!

===========

BTW - I'm completely OK if AMD don't releases the vulkan driver as Opensource. I mean we have a working solution for this and it's getting better every week... More Important would be the OpenCL parts. Still no usable implementation on Linux.

But i really have to say Thanks to AMD for "AMDGPU" and everything around. It's like a dream to are AMD user on linux compared to 5 years ago.
    Last edited by lumks; 30 March 2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

With respect, I don't think we have ever said anything like that.

What we have said is that we are continuing to work on open sourcing our Vulkan driver.
      My fault then, I remember hearing something like that in the early days when you said you were still not actively pursuing Vulkan because you had other priorities at the time, but I may be wrong as well.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Oh, Michael , I do have one request: new time, could you put a big SPOILER WARNING before those pictures? Thanks

Ididn't see anything I didn't see anything I didn't see anything I didn't see anything I didn't see anything I didnt' see anything I didn't...

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Oh, Michael , I do have one request: new time, could you put a big SPOILER WARNING before those pictures? Thanks

Ididn't see anything I didn't see anything I didn't see anything I didn't see anything I didn't see anything I didnt' see anything I didn't...
          You mean something like this

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Give radv some time: it's still far from being feature complete and optimizations will come.
            Well, we need better performance as fast as possible because of SteamVR. It's simply not there yet on the RX 480.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            We already have a vulkan team and a vulkan driver that supports multiple OSes. If we wanted to support radv, we'd need to hire a bunch of additional developers to support it. That doesn't make much sense.
            Arguably one of the most interesting things in recent years has been VR. Now that SteamVR is finally on Linux, when (if at all) can we expect support for SteamVR in AMD's Vulkan driver?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

With respect, I don't think we have ever said anything like that.

What we have said is that we are continuing to work on open sourcing our Vulkan driver.
              Are you allowed to say what the hold up is?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                We already have a vulkan team and a vulkan driver that supports multiple OSes. If we wanted to support radv, we'd need to hire a bunch of additional developers to support it. That doesn't make much sense.
                What doesn't make much sense imho is having a strategy and follow it half-hearted*.
                radv is basically more relevant for consumers than the -pro stack vulkan driver (can we please get a name for it?).
                I'm looking forward to AMD's quarterly results this year. Ryzen (and later Naples, Snowy Owl, Vega and Raven Ridge) should bring a huge bunch of money. Hope a fraction of it is going to be spent wisely

*edit: don't get me wrong, I don't blame devs for anything. It's a management thing, obviously
                Last edited by juno; 30 March 2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                  radv is basically more relevant for consumers than the -pro stack vulkan driver (can we please get a name for it?).
                  Library is called AMDVLK, if that is what you ask

Short of AMD's Vulkan i guess, like Linus's Linux or Microsoft's Windows or Phoronix's Benchmarks or Mesa's RadV, etc...

Comment

GamingOnLinux is seeing up to 3x performance improvements with Nvidia hardware. It seems to me RADV is pretty much broken at this point and should be avoided unfortuantely.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      GamingOnLinux is seeing up to 3x performance improvements with Nvidia hardware.
                      On Intel CPU + Nvidia hardware and nVidia trusty blobby crossplatform consistent scalable driver... to be more correct

Because on AMD CPU + AMD hardware with or without blob difference might be entirely different

3 times in not a rule really, see there 9-12 times faster on RadV with an AMD not so strong CPU + R9 380

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...259#post942259
                      Last edited by dungeon; 30 March 2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X