No announcement yet.

RadeonSI OpenGL vs. RADV Vulkan Performance For Mad Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what is the deal with the open source amd vulkan driver so fast I will prefer doing a good job than a bad one, I understand all the points, but people must be patient as the dev said they need to eliminate a lot of code from not being public for some reason.
    That is usually worse than do the driver(because you need to trim this then realize oh I f*ck that), so far I'm happy with the opensource and mesa with amd, I won't install amdgpu-pro because as far I see I got better performance in so many games than the closed one.
    An example in my case I like to play dota 2, using amdgpu with my 480, I like more frames go with opengl (right now because that reality we had), if by any reason update from the mesa git and I got wrong rendering on dota 2 I use radv.

Comment

I'm now on a Ryzen system so I really want to run >= 4.10 ... and have an AMD GPU... how do I use AMDGPU-PRO? Radv is the only Vulkan driver for me now...

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      You're missing the key point though... the only reason the Vulkan driver can't work on an upstream kernel is because it is not open source and so kernel driver functionality required only for the Vulkan driver is not upstreamable. Once the code is opened up then it will be able to run on any upstream kernel.
      Doh, had forgotten that...

However I think you're missing the point! Work in the open! Publish those patches now! Setup a public git where you develop out-of-tree DC-amdgpu-dkms. Let users run closed Vulkan and OpenCL on that in the meantime.
      That the kernel patches can't be upstreamed yet doesn't forbid you from publish them now in any way. Then you can get feedback on them NOW and resolve issues ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        I'm now on a Ryzen system so I really want to run >= 4.10 ... and have an AMD GPU... how do I use AMDGPU-PRO? Radv is the only Vulkan driver for me now...

Doh, had forgotten that...

However I think you're missing the point! Work in the open! Publish those patches now! Setup a public git where you develop out-of-tree DC-amdgpu-dkms. Let users run closed Vulkan and OpenCL on that in the meantime.
        That the kernel patches can't be upstreamed yet doesn't forbid you from publish them now in any way. Then you can get feedback on them NOW and resolve issues ahead of time.
        As far as I understood him it's more a matter of IP and the legal department than code that gets rejected by upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

As far as I understood him it's more a matter of IP and the legal department than code that gets rejected by upstream.
          And we've all seen what happened with DC. The Vulkan driver AMD is working on is going to be a standalone project, which means that AMD can release the crappiest most abstracted piece of junk that they want and there will be no upstream to reject it. And they think it'll be a good thing for us to get stuck in that scenario.

They are doing it this way so that they can control upstream. It's anti-community imo. There are good reasons why DC keeps getting rejected. There are good reasons why beignet benefits noone and actually screws the whole community. We all could be benefiting from beigenet if it was a community project like mesa. AMD's Vulkan driver is going to be in the same boat as beigenet, it'll benefit noone and will effectively set AMD against the rest of the OSS community.
          Last edited by duby229; 31 March 2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
            I'm now on a Ryzen system so I really want to run >= 4.10 ... and have an AMD GPU... how do I use AMDGPU-PRO? Radv is the only Vulkan driver for me now..
            yep, basically you (like many of us) have no performant Vulkan driver to use on your Linux setup.
            I think that's the reason for the frustration seen on the forum. I am a supporter of AMD and think they are heading in the right direction. Even the posts they have made in this thread indicate they are heading in the right direction. It's just that those of us who purchased AMD graphics cards never expected to be in this predicament, I.e. more than a year after Vulkan launched and without comprehensive driver support...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

There are two parts, the actual Vulkan implementation and some necessary changes to the Linux kernel that the Vulkan driver depends on.

Now the Linux kernel has a policy to not accept patches for new userspace API unless there is an _open source_ implementation that actually uses the API.
              So while in theory you could run the closed Vulkan implementation now on a "mainline" kernel, that will never happen.

However, nothing is stopping AMD from publishing those kernel patches anyway to let people test, review and actually use in the meantime. And they kinda exist in open form as part of the AMDGPU-PRO DKMS package but they're a bit hard to extract from there I think...

Comment

You keep saying that radv isn't performant, but what almost all benchmarks show is that it performs fantastically in GPU bound scenarios's, like for example with lower end GPU's. Which indicates that it needs more optimizations to get the most out of higher end GPU's. And that's all. Given more development and official support if -could- perform better. I say could, because it doesn't seem like AMD is ever going to do that unfortunately.

Comment

Using Vulkan I cant run this game The launcher crash and show me this "vulkan device has not suitable present queue families".
                  Using OpenGL, 1920x1080 and high settings, 4FPS.....

My specs:
                  Ubuntu 16.04, Mesa 17.1 (from Padoka PPA), kernel 4.9 (from amd-staging-4.9 branch)
                  FX-8350, 12GB RAM DDR3, RADEON RX470 8GB

Anyone else with this problem??

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

In addition to Linux users, it's used by quite a few users on other OSes.
                    No it isn't, it hasn't even been released yet. Nobody is using AMD's open source Vulkan driver. And let's not forget the fact that even then the open source version of it will not be available for use on Windows or OSX..

So it -isn't- available yet, and when it finally is it'll only be available for Linux and maybe *BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      What linux desktop users are on a distro it supports, and which enterprise users are running any Vulkan apps at all? Somewhere between few and none.
                      Just about all Linux OEM pre-loads are on enterprise distros.

Comment

Working...
                      X