No announcement yet.

Linus Ends Up Accepting The DRM Changes For Linux 4.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, he could have been way more diplomatic about it, but he has a point.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      could be imporved upon

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        If people are turned off by his criticisms, they should just stay away. Anyone who wants to be a contributor should know by now that Linus is very "expressive", and that he takes his work very seriously. Though I personally wouldn't do the same thing, I do not blame him at all for his reaction to the DRM code submitted. Honestly, he should not have had to clean up someone else's code warnings. If your code has warnings, it is incomplete.
        i do not think most contributors would have to deal with Linus directly, anyway.

Comment

This is the real world somebody gets lazy or is late and then he gets blamed. You can't pretend that there will be no consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
            Sure, Daniel has a very good point about driving people away - that would suck. However, the world would be terribly annoyed if buggy code gets into the Linux kernel and causes whatever damage it can do. Feelings are important, but (go look) doesn't cover for newly written crappy code, no matter how polite (or not) we act about it. And the rant was about both the bad code, AND the fact that it got past review, which is not to be desired. What if that introduced yet another heartbleed-like bug or something else critical? With great commit power also comes great responsibility, so people pushing code to the official Linux kernel should take responsibility for it and code like their life depends on it. Because there are also systems running Linux, that actually support the life and/or security of people. We don't want them to fail. As much as I dislike strong language, I'm rather annoyed by the fact that bad code went under the radar.
            Based on Daniel's email I got the feeling that the code is not buggy, just the kconfig is somehow not valid (I am not exactly sure what he meant by that...).

Comment

This time you did it wrong, Linus!
              What will you do next time someone submits similar crap?
              Will you fix it yourself? Hmmm ...

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                Based on Daniel's email I got the feeling that the code is not buggy, just the kconfig is somehow not valid (I am not exactly sure what he meant by that...).
                untested combination of options. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinatorial_explosion
                Last edited by pal666; 24 February 2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

what now feel all those people cluelessly parroting here about omnibenevolent linus keeping ugly code at bay?
                  Last edited by pal666; 24 February 2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Linus rages to get better coding but sounds as if Vetter would rather settle for crap rather than hurt someones feelings.
                    Which method produces quality???

Comment

This is clearly an issue of the person who allowed this code to bubble up all the way to Linus. We're not talking about a 3 man project here, if code gets all the way up there it needs to be at least build tested.

As others have said, if I was Linus I'd probably deny it as well and have a little chat with whoever is the next in line down there.

Comment

Working...
                      X