AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 Rolls Out With GCN 1.0 Support, FreeSync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK OpenCL should be working now. There are still some resource reporting stupids left over from the fglrx->amdgpu transition but I think the actual runtime is working. Did you try it and find problems ?

Or do you mean "working with the upstream kernel driver" ?
    I ran blender-git and it's reporting "OpenCL error (-6): CL_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY"
    The same with blender 2.76, and I know this version works on Windows and whatever Crimson version you throw at it.
    The funny thing is that Blender is detecting the OpenCL device as "Hainan" which is not correct, it's always been "Pitcairn".

I asked you, in another thread, what "libdrm" is dealing with SI cards, but you probably didn't see that.
    Is it "libdrm-amdgpu-pro-radeon1", "libdrm2-amdgpu-pro", or "libdrm-amdgpu-pro-amdgpu1"? I tried setting up this trick using the new driver, but it didn't work. I would love if you are technical enough to explain how this procedure would go nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK OpenCL should be working now. There are still some resource reporting stupids left over from the fglrx->amdgpu transition but I think the actual runtime is working. Did you try it and find problems ?

Or do you mean "working with the upstream kernel driver" ?
      I ran blender-git and it's reporting "OpenCL error (-6): CL_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY"
      The same with blender 2.76, and I know this version works on Windows and whatever Crimson version you throw at it.
      The funny thing is that Blender is detecting the OpenCL device as "Hainan" which is not correct, it's always been "Pitcairn".

I asked you, in another thread, what "libdrm" is dealing with SI cards, but you probably didn't see that.
      Is it "libdrm-amdgpu-pro-radeon1", "libdrm2-amdgpu-pro", or "libdrm-amdgpu-pro-amdgpu1"? I tried setting up this trickĀ¹ using the new driver, but it didn't work. I would love if you are technical enough to explain how this procedure would go nowadays.

1 - http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=2960

Comment

Unapproved 3 times in a row. This is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
          Is it "libdrm-amdgpu-pro-radeon1", "libdrm2-amdgpu-pro", or "libdrm-amdgpu-pro-amdgpu1"? I tried setting up this trick using the new driver, but it didn't work. I would love if you are technical enough to explain how this procedure would go nowadays.
          I saw it, I just didn't know the answer

Will try to find out when I'm back in the office.
          Test signature

Comment

Does anybody know how to enable AMD Freesync on Ubuntu based distros after installing amdgpu-pro 16.50? I Installed it but my games did not make use of Freesync automatically. Do I need to edit some file? I have an R9 Fury and a Freesync monitor of course. I can't seem to find anything related on google or youtube.

Comment

Hmm, good question - will try to find out.
              Test signature

Comment

Played TF2 for 2 hours today. Performance was good, similar to mesa (which is the same as Windows').

Comment

Originally posted by mokurai82 View Post
                  Does anybody know how to enable AMD Freesync on Ubuntu based distros after installing amdgpu-pro 16.50? I Installed it but my games did not make use of Freesync automatically. Do I need to edit some file? I have an R9 Fury and a Freesync monitor of course. I can't seem to find anything related on google or youtube.
                  Initial feedback is that Freesync is automatically enabled in fullscreen mode but does not function in windowed mode.

The apps that were tested were:

-Unigine Valley
                  -Unigine Heaven
                  -Metro Last Light
                  -Civilization 5
                  -Witcher 2
                  -DOTA2
                  -TF 2
                  -Counter Strike Source
                  -Rocket League
                  -Ark Survival Evolved
                  -XCOM2

I have a nagging thought that FreeSync also requires relatively recent HW (maybe CI and up) but Fury should be fine.

EDIT - any HW supported by DAL should apparently also support FreeSync
                  Last edited by bridgman; 10 December 2016, 10:18 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

OK, found it:

Enable/Disable FreeSync:

To enable FreeSync, run the following command:

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DisplayPort-# --set "freesync" 1 (the "DISPLAY=:0" part is normally not required)

Where # is your display's number (e.g., DisplayPort-0).

You can check what enumeration your FreeSync display receives before hand by entering the same command used to check FreeSync status. (not sure what that command is, but will find out)

Limitations for FreeSync 1.0 for Linux:

For FreeSync to work in OpenGL and Vulkan applications, V-Sync must be turned ON. If V-Sync is OFF, flipping may not occur hence FreeSync will not be engaged. If the individual application does not have V-Sync options, you can set it globally by modifying /etc/amd/amdrc (change the parameter from 1 to 3)

FreeSync should not be engaged on desktop or video playback

FreeSync enable setting is set on a per-display connection basis

FreeSync enable setting does not retain after display hotplug or system restart (e.g., need to manually re-enable FreeSync via terminal command)

In multi-display configurations, FreeSync will NOT be engaged (even if both FreeSync displays are identical)

FreeSync via HDMI is not supported for this feature. Only DP FreeSync displays will work.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 11 December 2016, 01:04 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Thank You! That was exactly what I was looking for. Though having to enter this command every restart is kind of a pain in the rear.

Comment

Working...
                      X