No announcement yet.

Linux 4.9-rc2 Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In reality 2+ year abandonware Windows XP is still used much more then all Linux distros combined on Desktop, but people still fight which of those distros is better

Comment

As XP will get Firefox ESR support up to mid 2018. ... so there is a chance even we might unintentionally beat dead horse somewhere after 2020.

Comment

I think that some people here suffer from Graphic Driver Disorder, because those does not work/perfrom like on Windows

Comment

This debianxfce person is clearly insane, put on ignore and get back on the actual topic about Linux 4.9-rc2.

Comment

It will be more useful, if you guys say that this rc2 kernel breaks building third party modeles... like vmware, nvidia, fglrx, etc... so users of those will need patching

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              It will be more useful, if you guys say that this rc2 kernel breaks building third party modeles... like vmware, nvidia, fglrx, etc... so users of those will need patching

http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1834
              I did but someone just deleted that comment. In short: It broke audio for me. If I keep "CONFIG_MODVERSIONS" enabled then the Kernel won't boot. If I disable that, it will boot but I'll have no audio.

So I'm just using amd-staging-4.7 instead, which does what I want: proper AMDGPU support for my GCN 1.0 card.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
                This debianxfce person is clearly insane, put on ignore and get back on the actual topic about Linux 4.9-rc2.
                If only the ignore list was working...

Comment

Well, I tried this kernel and enabled CONFIG_VMAP_STACK=y

So far, it's .. buggy. Usable, but buggy. Lots of ACPI error, ttm not working, meaning amdgpu not loading, etc. Time to fill some bugs.

Comment

At home, the PC on 4.9-rc1 throws "Failed to find cpu0 device node" but works(boots and seems to work alright).
                    At work, installed 4.9-rc2 on a build server, when it connects to the network, it freezes completely...

Both the PC at home and the server at work function(had to change the wording) normally on Linux 4.8.4.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                      At home, the PC on 4.9-rc1 throws "Failed to find cpu0 device node" but works(boots and seems to work alright).
                      At work, installed 4.9-rc2 on a build server, when it connects to the network, it freezes completely...

Both the PC at home and the server at work function(had to change the wording) normally on Linux 4.8.4.
                      Forgot to mention. Actually, docker does not work any more on the build server with Linux 4.8.4(It had 3.13).

Comment

Working...
                      X