RADV Vulkan Driver Can Now Correctly Render Talos Principle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I have to admit, I wasn't expecting this to get so far so soon. I don't fully understand why the development of this is so fast (compared to how OpenGL specs are so slow) but it's cool to see this make so much progress.

Though, I still wonder what to make of the situation when AMD open sources their own Vulkan drivers.
    I'm with you I didn't expect it to be working so quickly!
    Though my understanding of Vulkan was that it was supposed to be faster to implement than the OGL driver, as the Vk driver has to do way less than the OGL one.

Comment

The article title is misleading. The word "Correctly" should be removed from the title, like so: "RADV Vulkan Driver Can Now Render Talos Principle"
      Or perhaps "RADV Vulkan: Talos Principle is now playable"?

EDIT: Side note, I saw this last night, I'm working on building this for Fedora:
      http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.o...an-git/builds/

12.1.0-0.20160926 is a test build, 12.1.0-0.20160927 will include this fix, which I will submit later today.
      Last edited by Mystro256; 27 September 2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        WOW WOW WOW! Merge it, this is really no longer "semi-interesting branch"
        Mesa is supposed to be stable, you don't just merge experimental stuff into it, unless they're expected to become stable soon. It'll get there, don't worry, until then, look for a special build or build it yourself.

Comment

Though, I still wonder what to make of the situation when AMD open sources their own Vulkan drivers.
          I still doubt that will happen before RADV advances into a state where abandoning it would be a waste of resources. I've seen the ToDo list, there's still a lot to do, but it is already running all relevant Vulkan games out there (maybe not yet 100% correctly as some people pointed out, but at least they seem to work)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Mesa is supposed to be stable, you don't just merge experimental stuff into it, unless they're expected to become stable soon. It'll get there, don't worry, until then, look for a special build or build it yourself.
            Nonsense. Intel Vulkan driver has been merged despite being buggy/wip.

Comment

I think that development process is indeed something that makes us advance relatively quickly. The process at the beginning, was pretty much commit whatever you like, which means that the branch was often broken (e.g. we often had non-compiling asserts, as Dave sometimes copied asserts and forgot to fix them up as he compiled without assertions enabled). I think with two developers who spend effort on keeping up with what the other did and that are not picky wrt things as style, this worked pretty well.

The process is still the same, but now that more things work, you see that the changes become a bit more conservative. I don't know how this will change when/if we merge into mesa.

Another thing is that we already use some existing components (LLVM, NIR) and for those our features are a subset of GL and hence already implemented, which means we don't have to implement that.

Finally, Vulkan has a lot less idiosyncrasies than GL, which is what you see for example with the GL_ARB_query_buffer_object extension.

Comment

https://I'll work on getting out som...MDGPU figures.

Hopefully AMD will release some new pro driver by that time, they did not do it in last 2 months

Should include i guess to date fastest GL CPU profile for Talos, for best results with blob profile disable in game threading... with that situation gets boring, there GL and VK have virtualy similar speed

Comment

Did i quote this or not

I'll work on getting out some fresh RADV Radeon Vulkan benchmarks vs. AMDGPU-PRO and NVIDIA in the next week or so, likely in conjunction with some preliminary Linux 4.9 AMDGPU figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                    It is too brightly with vulkan. Where is my results with 7970
                    Vulkan
                    INF: Gfx API: Vulkan
                    INF: Duration: 60.0 seconds (6859 frames)
                    INF: Average: 114.3 FPS (115.7 w/o extremes)
                    INF: Extremes: 214.7 max, 8.8 min
                    INF: Sections: AI=10%, physics=2%, sound=1%, scene=63%, shadows=14%, misc=9%
                    INF: Highs: 498 in 3.0 seconds (168.5 FPS)
                    INF: Lows: 492 in 6.3 seconds (78.0 FPS)
                    INF: > 60 FPS: 100%
                    OpenGL
                    INF: Gfx API: OpenGL
                    INF: Duration: 60.0 seconds (4302 frames)
                    INF: Average: 71.7 FPS (76.0 w/o extremes)
                    INF: Extremes: 147.4 max, 6.3 min
                    INF: Sections: AI=6%, physics=1%, sound=1%, scene=64%, shadows=21%, misc=6%
                    INF: Highs: 83 in 0.6 seconds (138.3 FPS)
                    INF: Lows: 326 in 8.2 seconds (39.8 FPS)
                    INF: 30-60 FPS: 23%
                    INF: > 60 FPS: 77%
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosoM4MMXfQ
                    Thanks for this!
                    Would it be possible to run these benchmarks with the ultra setting, or is radv not yet able to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                      It is too brightly with vulkan. Where is my results with 7970
                      btw what are you comparing the brightness with? the GL version on radeonsi, anyone compared it with amdgpu-pro vulkan?

if you change the SRGB in src/amd/vulkan/radv_wsi_x11.c to UNORM does it render like you expect?

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                      X