No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell & Mutter Broke Their Good Faith With Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't they apply the triple buffering patch for Mutter in the past Ubuntu releases? I think the explicit sync is quite similar in size/effect.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

They do the same with old hardware.

"I only have a new gamer PC, so anything that isn't in my PC is old and so should be dropped from the kernel".
      Not all of us. I say that, but if push came to shove I could argue for dropping anything before x86-64v2. Only because things from that era have been out of production for 10+ years, are likely in dying systems probably soon to be replaced, and can be served by LTS kernels and distributions.

It's not like they remake older processors on newer, more efficient nodes to warrant upkeep of the code like how a couple years ago I suggested to Bridgman that AMD outta take Polaris, the RX 580, and just re-do it on a smaller process because people don't need a better GPU if they're aiming for 1080p60 gaming or they're not gaming at all. Don't change a damn thing, just make it smaller so it'll hopefully run cooler and more efficient.

It'd be kind of nice if Intel and AMD would do that with older CPUs. The Zen 5 Athlon 64x2. The Lunar Lake i286 .

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I'd even say the Linux release model is not good for the rapid pace of hardware.

When a new GPU comes out, nvidia and AMD can push a easy to install driver to end users right there, when it comes to Linux drivers you have to wait for the normal release cycle.
        When a new GPU comes out, a competent vendor develops and upstreams the drivers well in advance. Linux release model is fine.

Comment

Considering the fact the Canonical patches software until it is an entire different software this doesn't matter much? They don't ship GNOME, they ship something building up on GNOME.

Depending on users discretion software benefits from patches but Canonical is going a way to far for my taste (which often bring them into hot water). Probably Canonical is more worried about compatibility to their own patching

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

The problem with their LTS is breaking updates. And there is no easy way back. I switched now to Fedora Silverblue, where I can update my distro boxes independently from that base system. And I can rollback the base system easily.
            It's been a year and a half or so since I've used Silverblue so I have to ask a current user: Is all the bullshit involved with layering and updates still an issue? Where we'd have to unlayer and then relayer our local changes to the Silverblue base system because not everything works as a Flat?

Thanks in advance if you answer that
            Piss off you wanker in advance if you don't answer that

Comment

Originally posted by hsci View Post
              Considering the fact the Canonical patches software until it is an entire different software this doesn't matter much? They don't ship GNOME, they ship something building up on GNOME.

Depending on users discretion software benefits from patches but Canonical is going a way to far for my taste (which often bring them into hot water). Probably Canonical is more worried about compatibility to their own patching
              Chicken and Egg argument. GNOME and Ubuntu had that agreement in place precisely because Ubuntu uses a heavily patched GNOME and doesn't want to risk point releases with drastic changes breaking it. Ubuntu thought they had enough pull to strong-arm GNOME into a compromise with the Plugin Situation. It didn't work.

There's a joke about the origins of COSMIC in all of this.

Comment

This is why you should not have exceptions to SOPs, create a policy that you think works for your organization and stick to it.

If you're going to have exceptions for one major component then why bother?

Comment

I thought everyone wanting a working GNOME installation already switched to this new desktop os thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whkiZECPhqA

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It's been a year and a half or so since I've used Silverblue so I have to ask a current user: Is all the bullshit involved with layering and updates still an issue? Where we'd have to unlayer and then relayer our local changes to the Silverblue base system because not everything works as a Flat?
                    I use layering only for distrobox and the Nvidia driver. If you layer too much, you want something else. Most of my GUI apps are flatpaks. Some, like Davinci Resolve, run in a custom distrobox. My software development happens in the distrobox, too. Actually, I mostly have two of them as I update from one distro release to the next. So, in that sense, I have different distro versions installed for different jobs, which makes updating much easier.

I use distrobox because it simply works better than toolbox for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                      This is why you should not have exceptions to SOPs, create a policy that you think works for your organization and stick to it.

If you're going to have exceptions for one major component then why bother?
                      a fellow corpo in full display

how are your runbooks and dashboards looking? what's your OATMNS (ObscureAcryonymThatMakesNoSense) score?
                      Last edited by AlanTuring69; 23 May 2024, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X