Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell & Mutter Broke Their Good Faith With Ubuntu

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by fluke View Post

    If you're not using the GPU for heavy gaming you would be much better served by a dirstro such as Fedora which regularly updates the kernel and graphics stacks, thus providing nouveau/nova + NVK updates within weeks or so as opposed to the Ubuntu 6 months wait (which can then still be outdated at release). NVK is still quite slow for gaming but for desktop use it is very good with external displays on nvidia outputs working smoothly.

    As the main dev responsible for many ASUS gaming laptop improvements in my limited time, over the last 5 years I've been doing this I've experienced nothing but frustration from purchasers of new laptops trying to run ubuntu and discovering nothing works well for over 6 months or more or they have to jump through PPA hoops (such as install mainline kernel and break nvidia).

    The unbuntur release model is not a good model for the rapid pace of hardware we're experiencing. It is forever stuck behind the curve.
    I'd even say the Linux release model is not good for the rapid pace of hardware.

    When a new GPU comes out, nvidia and AMD can push a easy to install driver to end users right there, when it comes to Linux drivers you have to wait for the normal release cycle.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      I don't know if that's true, but I'm getting this feeling that Wayland is experimental regardless of which GPU I use. In my case, it's my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 with the 550 drivers.
      Please don't start another Wayland flame war.
      But for what it's worth, the Wayland experience is clearly worse for users of proprietary drivers.

      Comment


      • #13
        you can argue that explicity sync is a bug fix for nvidia

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post
          you can argue that explicity sync is a bug fix for nvidia
          For X11, which is using U24.04?
          Explicit sync is something that has been worked on for a very long time across projects. It's not just some bugfix.
          Last edited by Rovano; 23 May 2024, 07:59 AM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Eberhardt View Post
            I love the logic of phoronix readers. I don't like it, so it must be bad and nobody can objectively think it's good.
            They do the same with old hardware.

            "I only have a new gamer PC, so anything that isn't in my PC is old and so should be dropped from the kernel".

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by oleid View Post

              Please don't start another Wayland flame war.
              But for what it's worth, the Wayland experience is clearly worse for users of proprietary drivers.
              I'm not starting a flame war at all and I have no intention to do so.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by oleid View Post

                Please don't start another Wayland flame war.
                But for what it's worth, the Wayland experience is clearly worse for users of proprietary drivers.
                Please keep in mind that flame wars are a good thing, they keep us so nice and warm! Without them we would simply freeze to death.. or worse have to logic and reason!

                But in this specific case it was probably not intentional.

                I personally tired Wayland again last month and had a ton of issues on an Nvidia rig. I gave up and went back to Xorg and all the problems went away. As this was a work computer, it was essential to not have problems.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                  Considering that these patches broke some things for some people around of DEs, I'm not surprised.

                  Some people still didn't understand that Canonical explicitly states that it doesn't support Wayland yet in 24.04.

                  If we look at the distributions around with the most modern software, even there some things just don't work as they should for some people.
                  So why cram this into LTS?​
                  Well, considering the fact that X11 is still the default session for Nvidia users in 24.04, why are they so worried about something that only affects the non-default Wayland session? It makes no sense.

                  Many don't seem to realise that all the explicit sync stuff that was being developed for the last few months or so is exclusively for Wayland + XWayland. Not for bare metal X11.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    Well, considering the fact that X11 is still the default session for Nvidia users in 24.04, why are they so worried about something that only affects the non-default Wayland session? It makes no sense.

                    Many don't seem to realise that all the explicit sync stuff that was being developed for the last few months or so is exclusively for Wayland + XWayland. Not for bare metal X11.
                    Yes, it's default, but Wayland/XWayland session is also available in 24.04, perhaps some people would like to test...

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                      Considering that these patches broke some things for some people around of DEs, I'm not surprised.

                      Some people still didn't understand that Canonical explicitly states that it doesn't support Wayland yet in 24.04.

                      If we look at the distributions around with the most modern software, even there some things just don't work as they should for some people.
                      So why cram this into LTS?​
                      The problem with their LTS is breaking updates. And there is no easy way back. I switched now to Fedora Silverblue, where I can update my distro boxes independently from that base system. And I can rollback the base system easily.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X