systemd 256 Nears Release With run0, systemd-vpick, importctl & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 256 Nears Release With run0, systemd-vpick, importctl & More

Phoronix: systemd 256 Nears Release With run0, systemd-vpick, importctl & More

It looks like systemd 256 will officially debut as stable in the near future with systemd 256-rc3 being released today and not tacking on any new features compared to the prior release candidates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully we'll get this in Fedora 41

Comment

So when's systemd-kerneld coming?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
        So when's systemd-kerneld coming?
        Its version 6.10 is currently in development.

Comment

I think systemd-oom is too low to react, when my system runs out of RAM it freezes for minutes before it kills the offending process.
          And why let any process consume all remaining RAM? I would like to auto-kill any process that consumes more than 8 GB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I think systemd-oom is too low to react, when my system runs out of RAM it freezes for minutes before it kills the offending process.
            And why let any process consume all remaining RAM? I would like to auto-kill any process that consumes more than 8 GB of RAM.
            You can change that limit (in Fedora it's unlimited for some reason, but it's probably related to cgroups). You can also run specific process with desired limits:

Linux provides several ways to constrain the resources used by a process. We look at a few techniques for controlling the CPU, RAM and disk space that a process can access.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You can change that limit (in Fedora it's unlimited for some reason, but it's probably related to cgroups). You can also run specific process with desired limits:

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/limit...ce-consumption
              It would be great if this was used by VS Code. I've ran my application within VS Code and then my computer froze and crashed because some infinite recursion due to a bug I had in my code that was used parsing or building some recursive tree structure.

Comment

It would be great if this was used by VS Code. I've ran my application within VS Code and then my computer froze and crashed because some infinite recursion due to a bug I had in my code that was used parsing or building some recursive tree structure.
                Maybe you'll be able to tweak your VS run command and add limits there? Or try setting the limit for current user:

ulimit -Sv 1000000​ (1GB for process)
                Last edited by Volta; 23 May 2024, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Only a minute? The usual behaviour is total lock-up, especially if you've made the mistake of enabling swap on NVMe.

Comment

Originally posted by Avamander View Post

Only a minute? The usual behaviour is total lock-up, especially if you've made the mistake of enabling swap on NVMe.
                    Maybe two or three minutes.
                    I have a SATA SSD on a system with 16 GB RAM and I've disabled swap. I don't have any swap partition nor swap file.

Comment

Working...
                    X