Mesa 24.1 Released With Explicit Sync Vulkan Drivers, More Mature NVK Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indepe View Post

Based on this article: https://www.phoronix.com/news/KDE-KW...-Explicit-Sync

it sounds like Kwin's explicit sync support will be out mid-June. If that means what I think it does, I wouldn't expect any visible improvements before that.
    There is a backport patch available for plasma 6.0.x, provided from Xaver if distributions want to include it.

Comment

from the mailing list

All Vulkan drivers have gained support for explicit synchronisation on
      Wayland and X11.​
      i am so confused by this.

My understanding is that x11 and wayland explicit sync support is related to "vulkan window system integration", though i don't know what does that even mean.

i don't understand then what is the point of this https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/18032.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_o View Post
        from the mailing list

My understanding is that x11 and wayland explicit sync support is related to "vulkan window system integration", though i don't know what does that even mean.

i don't understand then what is the point of this https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/18032.
        I think the bit done is to allow desktop compositors to use explicit sync while you are running vulkan apps on top of them. Not that the vulkan app itself is, which would be that MR you linked to.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
          Just tested mesa-git with kwin with explicit sync patches on AMD. Zero improvements. ZERO.
          Well, no performance improvement was expected. Though I was surprised to find explicit sync can be ~10% slower than implicit sync with light apps: mesa!29199

it sounds like Kwin's explicit sync support will be out mid-June. If that means what I think it does, I wouldn't expect any visible improvements before that.
          They wrote "kwin with explicit sync patches", which presumably means with those patches applied manually.​

Originally posted by Ray_o View Post
          Don't feel bad, you're in good company here. The fact that "explicit sync" isn't a single thing, but many things in different contexts, is mighty confusing to many people.

It's about synchronization of GPU access to buffers shared between the client and display server via the Wayland protocol and X11 DRI3/Present extensions, to ensure correct presentation of client frames.

It's about driver-internal synchronization of GPU access. In contrast to explicit sync in the display protocols (which is independent and not required for this), this actually improves performance with some real-world apps.

Comment

Plasma 6.1 Beta should release today.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
              They wrote "kwin with explicit sync patches", which presumably means with those patches applied manually.​

The fact that "explicit sync" isn't a single thing, but many things in different contexts, is mighty confusing to many people.
              Still, exactly because it isn't a "single thing", I wouldn't expect such patches to resolve all the (unspecified) sync problems they might expect. I'd expect that Kwin will need some adjustments before the release in mid-June, and even then perhaps not result in all possible sync improvements right away.

Also, on AMD generally things are already working quite well (at least in my own very limited experience), so I wouldn't expect everyone will easily see improvements just from some general "support". (I probably won't.)
              Last edited by indepe; 23 May 2024, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                Just tested mesa-git with kwin with explicit sync patches on AMD. Zero improvements. ZERO.
                Frame pacing will be better when the system is stressed, especially with older hardware. Not to mention this speeds up adaptation of Linux now that NVIDIA works (better)
                Recently news went around about explicit sync being merged into Wayland protocols, and in the wake of that I saw a lot of people having questions about it, and why it was such a big deal… So here’s a short-ish explanation of what it is, why it’s needed and what the benefits are over the old model.

There's also more improvements on the way
                This narrows the gap to implicit sync in terms of vkcube/vkcube-wayland frame rate. The following numbers (corresponding to the number of frames presented in...

Micro optimizations are awesome!

(PS.. Some parts are still not finalized (like wlroots) or pending in git (such as kwin))
                Last edited by Kjell; 23 May 2024, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                  There's also more improvements on the way
                  This narrows the gap to implicit sync in terms of vkcube/vkcube-wayland frame rate. The following numbers (corresponding to the number of frames presented in...

Micro optimizations are awesome!
                  Yeah, that's my MR. I wouldn't characterize narrowing (not closing) a ~10% performance gap to implicit sync as "more improvements" though, more like "damage control".

Comment

Yeah, that's my MR. I wouldn't characterize narrowing (not closing) a ~10% performance gap to implicit sync as "more improvements" though, more like "damage control".

However eventually the gap will be closed (if not turned around), or is there something standing in the way of that?

Comment

Working...
                    X