No announcement yet.

ASRock Rack Releases BIOS Update For EPYC 4004 Support With AM5 Ryzen Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Rack Releases BIOS Update For EPYC 4004 Support With AM5 Ryzen Boards

Phoronix: ASRock Rack Releases BIOS Update For EPYC 4004 Support With AM5 Ryzen Boards

As a follow-up to this morning's AMD EPYC 4004 review and benchmarks, Supermicro, ASRock Rack, Giga Computing, Tyan, and others have announced new motherboards/servers for these entry-level EPYC servers. In addition with the likes of ASRock Rack they have already published BIOS updates enabling existing AM5 Ryzen server boards to officially support the EPYC 4004 series processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the difference between a normal Ryzen 7950X and an Epyc 4004 variant of the same CPU?

Intel for example offers the same CPUs in Xeon variant, but then under Xeon moniker it unlocks the ECC RAM capability.
    AFAIK, AMD doesn't restrict ECC even in normal Ryzen CPUs, so what's different then?

Comment

which consumer boards will provide full ecc support with ecc memory and one of these CPU's?

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
        What's the difference between a normal Ryzen 7950X and an Epyc 4004 variant of the same CPU?

Intel for example offers the same CPUs in Xeon variant, but then under Xeon moniker it unlocks the ECC RAM capability.
        AFAIK, AMD doesn't restrict ECC even in normal Ryzen CPUs, so what's different then?
        It seems like it's genuinely the same underlying silicon, but instead has a different support mechanism from AMD, based on this servethehome article;

Comment

Official ECC support, BMC, and software raid

Comment

Ah... So nice to see that green motherboard. So, so good... I would definitely want to have that for my desktop when paired with Silverstone 5U RM52 rackmount chassis. No more consumer-looking motherboards and no more consumer-looking computer cases. I would love to hide that PC out of sight along with that green motherboard. I will only see a green motherboard when I take my computer offline and upgrade components such as a GPU.

Comment

Asrock again ahead of the curve on bios updates for compatibility

Comment

maybe we could get part3 article: a benchmark xeon E vs amd epyc 4004 with endless os?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                  maybe we could get part3 article: a benchmark xeon E vs amd epyc 4004 with endless os?
                  Does Endless OS do anything real for performance? Last I knew they were mostly on desktop-related work and no real low-level optimizations?
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

In addition to what others have said, Epyc 4004 I think has a few more PCIe lanes. Most of the differences are in the motherboards though, where they'll be guaranteed to support ECC and where they'll be designed with server racks in mind. Kinda stupid that the CPUs are considered a different product when the mobo is what really matters here, but at least AMD isn't really changing the price much.

Comment

Working...
                    X