Qt 6.7.1 Released With 400+ Fixes - Including Several Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.7.1 Released With 400+ Fixes - Including Several Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: Qt 6.7.1 Released With 400+ Fixes - Including Several Wayland Fixes

The Qt Company today released Qt 6.7.1 as the first point release for the cross-platform Qt 6.7.1 toolkit. Since releasing Qt 6.7 just under two months ago, they have fixed more than 400 bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt: Good
    GTK: Bad
    Simple as

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
      Qt: Good
      GTK: Bad
      Simple as
      Let's not go there. They can both be good and bad, depending on your context.

My desktop has both Qt and GTK installed and it will happily runs apps built with either. I expect that's true for quite a bit of desktop Linux installs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Let's not go there. They can both be good and bad, depending on your context.

My desktop has both Qt and GTK installed and it will happily runs apps built with either. I expect that's true for quite a bit of desktop Linux installs out there.
        Including mine, but for me it's only because I need GTK for one or two apps that don't have a (good) Qt equivalent. If I could get rid of GTK, I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Including mine, but for me it's only because I need GTK for one or two apps that don't have a (good) Qt equivalent. If I could get rid of GTK, I would.
          Out of curiosity, can you share which GTK apps don't have a (good) Qt equivalent (yet?)?

Comment

Originally posted by rcalixte View Post

Out of curiosity, can you share which GTK apps don't have a (good) Qt equivalent (yet?)?
            not OP but i can give you simple list that i use as some who hate gnome dev

gtk2 : gimp ........... there not many
            gtk3 : firefox - filezilla - electron "vs code and discord" - chromium - audacity - handbrake - inkscape and most one i used "gparted"
            gtk4 : nautilus ......... there many that i don't use

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              Krita?

Dolphin?

Comment

not OP but i can give you simple list that i use as some who hate gnome dev

gtk3 : firefox - filezilla - electron "vs code and discord" - chromium - audacity - handbrake - inkscape and most one i used "gparted"
                Chromium can be compiled with Qt support and then ran with --qt-version=6 (or 5, for Qt 5).

I'd be ecstatic if Firefox could also get rid of GTK. GTK is nothing but a source of bugs for Firefox and it'll get worse with GTK 4 and 5 because Firefox uses it in weird ways that GTK isn't really designed for.

Firefox should be able to provide its own toolkit and do its own styling (it can still take hints from the platform theme like Chromium does).

Comment

Originally posted by rcalixte View Post

I'm in a similar situation but I tend to think differently about GTK apps where I have to encounter their less-than-ideal nativeness on non-GNOME desktops vs. ones I use maybe once every few months or which only use GTK under the hood.

The former would be:
                  • Inkscape (The big "no replacement" case)
                  • GIMP (because I haven't had time to test Krita for suitability for my workflow yet)
                  • Geeqie (Gwenview never felt right so I'm slowly working on a PyQt port of the elements of Geeqie that I actually use... it helps that I was already intending to do that so I could slap the components I produce on top of a custom image databasing tool and have them think in hashes and tags, not paths and folders.)
                  • Audacious Media Player (Last I checked, they still hadn't ported the global hotkey plugin away from the UI they label as "GTK (Legacy)" to the Qt one they're migrating to. I believe there were also some minor annoyances in the Qt UI where it's not yet perfectly possible to replicate the UI configuration I have on the GTK GUI... I think I may also need to contribute a patch to allow the user to specify an arbitrary QSS stylesheet so I can do Firefox userChrome.css-style hacks to tweak things like widget padding to get it perfect.)
                  • Pidgin (Mainly so I have a unified place for IRC and the third-party Google IM plugin for libpurple. I need to see if there's a Qt frontend to libpurple.)
                  • gcdemu (I suppose I could whip up my own tray icon for cdemu)
                  • Workrave
                  • MComix (Given how they've been cluttering up the UI and de-optimizing it since they forked from the abandoned Comix repo, and given what components I've already built for other projects or need to build, I'll probably just spend an afternoon re-creating what I liked about Comix using PyQt. Hell, it's written in Python so, if I wanted, I could just port the parts that aren't just a thin wrapper around PyGObject to PyQt.)
                  • My own QuickTile (Because Qt has no equivalent to libwnck and I don't want to go back to reinventing it. That said, it's fundamentally dependent on X11 allowing applications to move each other around, so it's going away unless Xfce pushes through enough optional protocol extensions to make libxfce4windowing fully featured on Wayland too.)
                  The latter would be:
                  • Firefox (thank you, XDG portals, for giving me KDE Open/Save dialogs)
                  • Ungoogled Chromium (likewise)
                  • Thunderbird (likewise)
                  • Tor Browser (likewise)
                  • Audacity (here's hoping wxQt gets completed)
                  • Flatseal (because my Kubuntu LTS is too old to have the Flatpak override KCM)
                  • EasyTAG (The UIs of other tools I've tried like Ex Falso are very inefficient for my usual workflow. Given that EasyTAG's got its own irritating attempts to force an alien workflow in it, I may spend an afternoon whipping up my ideal tagging UI using PyQt on top of Ex Falso's Mutagen tag read/write library.)
                  • Handbrake (I almost never dump DVDs, so my ~/video_for_tv.sh script for using ffmpeg and NVENC to transcode to something our commercial TV can handle at a speed bottlenecked by the USB stick's write performance is fine most of the time.)
                  • XSane (Just been too lazy to find a Qt replacement)
                  • BasiliskII and Sheepshaver (classic Macintosh emulators... not even ideal ones, but there's no competition)
                  • guvcview (Mainly used for testing thrifted USB video devices like the "digitize your VHS tapes" box I use as an external ADC for my cassette deck)
                  • jstest-gtk (just been too lazy to see if the KCM has gotten good enough to make a suitable replacement. Given that I've just pinned the Flathub release once the "Hey! We moved to Nix! This package is dead!" message started showing up, I doubt later GTK versions would have been a problem anyway.
                  • gmrun (KRunner has a history of ignoring when I uncheck everything but the application launcher and command-line backends. I may just spend an afternoon whipping up a PyQt-based stays-resident-for-quick-appearance replacement)
                  • gVim (Neovim frontends lack :gui. Thankfully, gVim for me is more a way to get "a terminal that supports things like wavy underlines" than a full-blown GUI app.)​
                  • gLabels (Thankfully, I almost never use it. Unfortunately, that means I've never looked into alternatives.)

I've already migrated Deluge→KTorrent, File Roller→Ark (despite it not having an "uncompressed size" readout), Meld → KDiff3, snes9x-gtk→Mednafen, and switched from using both Okular and Evince to just Okular.

Comment

What's missing from KDE's libparted frontend? Whatever I've been doing with it hasn't felt incomplete.

Comment

Working...
                    X