Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD RDNA4 "GFX12" Support Merged For Mesa's RadeonSI Driver

Phoronix: AMD RDNA4 "GFX12" Support Merged For Mesa's RadeonSI Driver

Following all of the GFX12 code and related IP landing within the AMDGPU Linux kernel driver as well as the LLVM AMDGPU shader compiler back-end and other code in enabling the next-generation of AMD Radeon graphics, the RadeonSI OpenGL driver support for RDNA4 (GFX12) was merged this Sunday into Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like something will be released soon. While I'm satisfied with what I had got from the RX6600, I got that card at the end of the pandemic crazies, at a price only reasonable, so I will be looking for something at least 50% faster in a similar power draw, since my case (which I had no desire to replace) can only accommodate cards bellow 30cm in length.

Comment

From looking at the patch, nothing stands out as having changed in VCN5. It's still decoding JPEG/H.264/H.265/VP9/AV1, and encoding H.264/H.265/AV1, same as VCN4.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
        From looking at the patch, nothing stands out as having changed in VCN5. It's still decoding JPEG/H.264/H.265/VP9/AV1, and encoding H.264/H.265/AV1, same as VCN4.
        They should consider vvc/h266...

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

They should consider vvc/h266...
          That would be the obvious next thing to add. H.266 decode is expected in Intel's Lunar Lake (mobile), which is supposedly a 2024 product, 2025 at the latest. Maybe not Arrow Lake which uses older graphics, but graphics and video should have been disaggregated from each other already starting with the tiled design in Meteor Lake.

Comment

Really not much has changed since at least RDNA1. Only AV1, and some resolution increases (and the old MPEG2 being removed). Intel continues to have better media blocks, especially for the iGPUs. Meteor Lake supports AV1 encode. And then there's not having to deal with gimped Mesa either for team blue.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Really not much has changed since at least RDNA1. Only AV1, and some resolution increases (and the old MPEG2 being removed). Intel continues to have better media blocks, especially for the iGPUs. Meteor Lake supports AV1 encode. And then there's not having to deal with gimped Mesa either for team blue.
              AMD's Phoenix supported AV1 encode several months before Meteor Lake even came out.

Comment

Don't forget the Intel GuC Firmware issue still not being totally resolved...

Comment

And then there's not having to deal with gimped Mesa either for team blue.
                  Lol, as the other person pointed out, I guess you really don't have to worry about Mesa being gimped because you don't have any acceleration at all.

Comment

AMD's Phoenix supported AV1 encode several months before Meteor Lake even came out.
                    True. I wish the desktop Zen 4 SKUs had an iGPU that was based on RDNA3 instead of RDNA2.

Comment

Working...
                    X