No announcement yet.

Cloudflare Releases Pingora 0.2 For Building Fast & Reliable Networked Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudflare Releases Pingora 0.2 For Building Fast & Reliable Networked Systems

Phoronix: Cloudflare Releases Pingora 0.2 For Building Fast & Reliable Networked Systems

Two years ago Cloudflare outlined how they began replacing Nginx with their own in-house creation, Pingora. Back in February of this year Cloudflare open-sourced Pingora and in April issued the maiden release of Pingora. Out today is Pingora 0.2 as the second release of this Rust framework that is already used in production by Cloudflare...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pingora must be better than nginx since they went through all the effort to create something to replace it? How this is possible i have no clue, since already nginx was vastly superior to most other offerings if we don't count support for some obscure protocols.

Comment

Nobody said Pingora replaces NGINX in general for everyone. Cloudflare created it because NGINX wasn't suitable for their particular use case, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        Pingora must be better than nginx since they went through all the effort to create something to replace it? How this is possible i have no clue, since already nginx was vastly superior to most other offerings if we don't count support for some obscure protocols.
        Keep in mind that it is the core business of Cloudflare to serve content. Having full control of the software you are using for your core business is rather important, or as here with the move from nginx to Pingora Cloudflare eliminate the risk that the core software your company builds its business on is controlled by someone else. In light of the license policy and overall changes at nginx this seems like a really good call for Cloudflare.
        As for your other statement. From what I have seen in production on high traffic over the last 20 years HAproxy is what I would call "superior" in terms of performance, operability, simplicity for reverse proxying. All numbers I can find seem to reflect what I have seen.
        Of course I too came from Apache and was blown away when nginx came around and kicked Apaches b-hind, but once you land on high traffic sites the setups you can make with HAproxy for TLS termination and plain HTTP and/or TCP reverse proxying perhaps also along with a Varnish cache (or cluster of them) you can really handle a lot of heavy lifting and still do it really smoothly.
        Also, let's not forget about Caddy making Let's Encrypt cert management a lot easier than with certbot and HAproxy/nginx/Apache. The numbers I've seen is that HAproxy still outperforms Caddy but not by a lot. YMMV.
        Exciting to see how Pingora is shaping up nicely. Thanks CF for not going down the proprietary rabbit hole (at least not yet)

Comment

Yeah man, how is it even possible to improve anything at all. Black magic most likely.

And btw, Pingora is not a general purpose replacement for Nginx.

Comment

Pingora is an entirely different beast than Nginx. Nginx has a singular purpose: to be a reverse proxy. Due to the way that works, it can also act as a static file server. And it does that really well.

Pingora is more a framework of APIs that lets you build custom network solutions. It's a layer lower than Nginx. You could build an Nginx clone using it, though that would be dumb.

Comment

You must be confusing Pingora for River.
              The Story Just about every significantly-sized deployment on the Internet makes use of reverse proxy software, and the most commonly deployed reverse proxy software is not memory safe. This means that most deployments have millions of lines of C and C++ handling incoming traffic at the edges of their networks, a risk that needs to be addressed if we are to have greater confidence in the security of the Internet.

Comment

Pingora is more like openresty because you can do scripting, nginx can't do any of that.

Comment

Working...
                X