Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    Or those using TeamViewer or AnyDesk...
    Add Chromium to the list. It doesn't work right under Wayland for me even if I start it as an X app.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      Or those using TeamViewer or AnyDesk...
      Looks like developers of these products don't care much about Linux. Especially Anydesk (which Linux version is far behind Windows major version, which has serious performance issues with remote KDE Plasma X11, which legacy tray icon implementation doesn't work well on Ubuntu/GNOME etc).
      If users can switch to an alternative product, I recommend considering Rustdesk
      Last edited by xAlt7x; 11 May 2024, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        I think we can call Plasma 6.1 the point where wayland became X replacement for vast majority of people. Just one or two use cases are still under development, but that is a fraction of a promille of users that need them.

edit: For a clear majority Plasma 6 was already the wayland transition, me included. But there were a couple minor hiccups, which got corrected in the point releases. So 6.1 will be the release that covers 99% of users transitioning to wayland.
        No way users of touchpad multi touch gestures are just a 1%, this can't be true. Probably most such users are using Gnome instead, well, less chances they will switch over to Plasma then.

Comment

Wayland and Plasma working nice for me on Nvidia card already. Lots of polish has happened and it seems like bugs are getting fixed fast. Pretty cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
            Wayland and Plasma working nice for me on Nvidia card already. Lots of polish has happened and it seems like bugs are getting fixed fast. Pretty cool to see.
            For new GPUs sure.

Just yesterday preparing an old PC to be given to a relative I booted into Arch and upgraded Plasma from 5 to 6, after rebooting and being defaulted to the new Wayland the maximum resolution was 640x320 or w/e... i already knew wayland was going to be the new default and was expecting problems, but not really at this level...

I didnt have enough time to troubleshoot whatever caused the issue so I just changed it to default to the not-affected X before giving it off. If the problem wouldve been anything else like tearing I wouldve left it as is.

I have a feeling it was because of the nvidia-470xx drivers, but who knows.

Comment

Very happy about smooth scroll setting. I hope this means I can finally disable it in a range of KDE tools where I currently cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post

Looks like developers of these products don't care much about Linux. Especially Anydesk (which Linux version is far behind Windows major version, which has serious performance issues with remote KDE Plasma X11, which legacy tray icon implementation doesn't work well on Ubuntu/GNOME etc).
                If users can switch to an alternative product, I recommend considering Rustdesk
                We did last year, but it really wasn't up to par.
                Maybe it's time we give it another go

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  With everything going global these days, more and more people are switching between languages and thus between keyboard layouts.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers#Ethn ologue_(2023)

There is some interesting points when you take that table into excel/calc and total it up.

4.521 Billion have a first language.
                  3.1053 Billion with second language.
                  That leaves 1.4157 billion out there that only have 1 language.
                  17-20 percent of users have no use for switching between keyboards because they only know one language. Yes about 1/5 of the user base maybe

Also these numbers are have a hole and half.. Global population in 2023 is 8 billion. 43% of the population of humans is missing from that Table.

Do remember those numbers have another grain of salt. First language person is only counted once. Second language person can be counted more than once.

17% having only 1 language is using the 8 billion population number children making up 25% of that number to ~6 billion adults.

Do also note there are over 300 written languages and over 7000 spoken languages. Yes the table there end at 40 languages so you have over 260 written languages missing.

Also here is another important fact people with second language may only know the spoken form.

Lot of ways we lack real good data on how many will need keyboard switching. Best I can do is work out that about 1/5 who absolutely will not need the feature.

Also you have to remember there is more people having spoken second language knowledge then using a translate image app on their phone to translate the written they come across back into their first language.

Yes a lot of people have a second language they can speak but they would be classed as illiterate​ in because they cannot read and write it. Yes being illiterate is very common in person second/third... language with literacy is common with a person first language..

Basically we have nothing to prove vast majority don't need the feature. Also we have nothing that proves a vast majority need the feature. Globalization will see more people need the feature but those will be people who have a at least a second language that they are literate in(read and write). Problem is most of the data collected on language usage does not in fact filter based on if the person has literacy or not.

Comment

And that's only language-motivated layout switching. You need to take into accout also task-based layout switching, for example I use one layout when writing in my mature language, one layout when writing in english and one layout specifically for programing.

So I have to reconfigure EVERY hotkey i need to use, to assign multiple keys - one per layout, which in advance blocks keys for more hotkeys, because i need to have assigned 3 different hotkey combinations for each task.

I kinda expected that most Linux users are power users and thus using hotkeys extensively. So non-US and non-GB users would complain about this? Or is my heavy use of global hotkeys really an exception?

I am generally confused, but thanks to this situation, using KDE on wayland is not productive for me and basically unusable.

Ah, and I forgot to note, that upgrade from 5 to 6 deleted all my configured hotkeys and kwin window rules without any notice!!

How can this be acceptable and even reported as "succesfull upgrade" by users?
                    Last edited by Gryffus; 13 May 2024, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffus View Post
                      I kinda expected that most Linux users are power users and thus using hotkeys extensively. So non-US and non-GB users would complain about this? Or is my heavy use of global hotkeys really an exception?
                      You have done a lot of presumes. Being a power user does not mean using using custom global hotkeys extensively.
                      Windows 11 provides a plethora of shortcuts that can make your computing more efficient. Here are the ones I use the most.

You even see in Windows power users as well. If you repairing other people computers all the time you end up sticking to the OS/DE default hotkeys doing custom configured one equal getting yourself into big trouble when you have to use someone else computer to repair it.

Only a subset of power users in fact customize hotkeys in any shape or form. Compared to your normal users all of your power users use more of the generally defined hotkeys that were the major difference is.

IYou need to take into accout also task-based layout switching, for example I use one layout when writing in my mature language, one layout when writing in english and one layout specifically for programing.
                      This is also only small subset do this.

IAh, and I forgot to note, that upgrade from 5 to 6 deleted all my configured hotkeys and kwin window rules without any notice!!
                      The developer power users working on KDE most likely would not have noticed the change. Mostly they use kwin windows rules for dealing with buggy applications and most of the time the redone rule list is shorter after a major change for them.

Yes the kde developer power usage of windows rules being to work around buggy so they can test other parts of applications clearing the rules between major version makes sense.

Also in kde complete history no body has opened a issue asking for any of the kwin windows rules to be maintained between major versions.

How can this be acceptable and even reported as "succesfull upgrade" by users?
                      This is you suffering from

Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody

The reality you own to a very small subset of users who have not been opening issues and KDE/Gnome developers are not mind readers they only see their use case and the use cases people have opened issues over.

Please note I am not saying your issues are wrong Gryffus but it case you have incorrectly presumed other people would be having issue so not seeing the importance of reporting issue. Yes the missing that those using kwin rules to work around broken really need to drop the rules and see what is still broken after a major change.

I would say there is a limitation in the kde window rules when I look at them there is no way to tag if this rule is application bug work around or some form of layout customization. Application bug work around rules really should be dropped after a major change and restored as required due to the fact major version would have fixed lots of them.

Yes people incorrectly presume most power users highly customize their systems when in reality is most of them cannot because they keep on being asked to fix other people computers be this at work or be this family members and if they highly customize their system these requests come harder. Yes power users are a minority and users who customize their systems is a minority inside that.

Yes going to a KDE conference and noticing 98% of the people are running KDE on the out the box settings. Yes one conference they asked the question one room 100 percent of people put their hands up at not altering any of the DE settings not even the wall paper they were also equally stunned. So the idea that majority of power users customize stuff turns out not be be that based in reality.

KDE customization is more what users have asked for and the developers have implemented not that the KDE developers use it themselves most of the time. Yes this does explain the rough edges if people like you keep on presuming incorrectly..

In fact your non power users are in a lot of ways more likely to go in and customize items like hotkeys thinking it a good idea and then forgot what they have changed the hotkeys to and land themselves with a non usable system that they then ask power user to fix than power users customize their systems.

Please note I am not against power users who customize their system but they need kind of he aware how small of minority they really are and how important it is for them to open issues because majority of them incorrectly presume this action is common when it not common.

Yes the common power user to kwin window rules is work around for buggy applications. If you use of them is not that then you are not in the common use case so do need to open issues when you hit problems because the upstream kde developer fairly much are only using the common use case for power users with kwin window rules so will not see the problem unless they are told it a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X