Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Linux 9.4 Released For RHEL 9.4 Derived Distribution

Phoronix: Rocky Linux 9.4 Released For RHEL 9.4 Derived Distribution

Building off last week's release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.4 (RHEL 9.4) has been AlmaLinux 9.4 and now the other notable community-focused downstream: Rocky Linux 9.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

By now everyone knows that i can't stand the Rocky project and have a very low opinion of the Rocky distro, but the other day I ran across something that caught me by surprise.

There is a family of software collectively known as Nuke; is used in movie making, video game making, 3d graphics, it is one of the main go-to collection of software used in big budget productions and it is priced accordingly.

What surprised me was under Tech Specs -> Qualified Operating Systems you have Rocky 9, CentOS 7.6 to 7.9​, and of course Mac OS and Windows:

Find out the minimum recommended system requirements to run the latest version of Nuke, NukeX and Nuke Studio. Visit us online today to view the full range.

When a vendor of software of this caliber specifically calls out a distro as a "Qualified OS" that is a big endorsement.

Obviously Rocky leadership have some connections to the entertainment industry.

Comment

Too bad rocky went with the ship danger iceberg logo instead of a punching glove rising to the moon or punching a red hat

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        What surprised me was under Tech Specs -> Qualified Operating Systems you have Rocky 9, CentOS 7.6 to 7.9​, and of course Mac OS and Windows:
        That is quite interesting. Did it also list RHEL? Otherwise I might suspect that the vendor behind Nuke is attempting to make a statement that they are on the opposing side of the camp as to whether what RH is doing is "right or not".

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
        Too bad rocky went with the ship danger iceberg logo instead of a punching glove rising to the moon or punching a red hat
        ​To be fair, I think just not having a bright green background wallpaper is still a good improvement

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          That is quite interesting. Did it also list RHEL? Otherwise I might suspect that the vendor behind Nuke is attempting to make a statement that they are on the opposing side of the camp as to whether what RH is doing is "right or not".
          No, they only listed Rocky 9 64-bit specifically and CentOS 7.6 to 7.9 64-bit specifically.

I have learned one thing over the years, when a vendor lists a specific Linux distro and a specific version of said distro, do yourself a favor and follow their guidance.

I can't remember what software is was but the vendor specifically stated Ubuntu version XX.XX.

If you tried to install it on that version it installed and ran perfectly.

If you tried to install it on other versions, it would appear to install but it would not launch no matter what i did, even matching the libraries of the stated version.

if you tried to install it on any other distro, the install would fail.

As far as Nuke, I don't think this vendor gets involved in the these types of politics, if they did they would also list Alma and Oracle.

My guess someone at Rocky or CentOS has a friend at Nuke.

Comment

No, they only listed Rocky 9 64-bit specifically and CentOS 7.6 to 7.9 64-bit specifically.

I have learned one thing over the years, when a vendor lists a specific Linux distro and a specific version of said distro, do yourself a favor and follow their guidance.

I can't remember what software is was but the vendor specifically stated Ubuntu version XX.XX.

If you tried to install it on that version it installed and ran perfectly.

If you tried to install it on other versions, it would appear to install but it would not launch no matter what i did, even matching the libraries of the stated version.

if you tried to install it on any other distro, the install would fail.

As far as Nuke, I don't think this vendor gets involved in the these types of politics, if they did they would also list Alma and Oracle.

My guess someone at Rocky or CentOS has a friend at Nuke.
            Not necessarily. Davinci Resolve states their Linux support for Rocky, too - I suppose it's perceived as the 'replacement' for CentoOS - CentOS is GONE as you know - CentOS Stream is not the same thing. They probably use Rocky to test on it - and if they communicate with the Rocky Team while doing so - it's only natural to list it?

Comment

By now everyone knows that i can't stand the Rocky project and have a very low opinion of the Rocky distro
              You grossly overestimate the importance of yourself.

Comment

By now everyone knows that i can't stand the Rocky project and have a very low opinion of the Rocky distro, but the other day I ran across something that caught me by surprise.

There is a family of software collectively known as Nuke; is used in movie making, video game making, 3d graphics, it is one of the main go-to collection of software used in big budget productions and it is priced accordingly.

Find out the minimum recommended system requirements to run the latest version of Nuke, NukeX and Nuke Studio. Visit us online today to view the full range.

When a vendor of software of this caliber specifically calls out a distro as a "Qualified OS" that is a big endorsement.

Obviously Rocky leadership have some connections to the entertainment industry.
                It makes perfect sense to support Rocky since it's basically RedHat but without all the hassle, which is great for everybody (including RedHat).
                RedHat is essentially the "industry standard" when it comes to Linux in enterprise and production systems, and deservedly so. For companies, it's much better to support "the standard" than trying to support everyone since Linux can be a nightmare to natively support if your program relies on solid/stable libraries.

Autodesk also does this with Maya (which I believe is the only program they support on Linux), they support only RedHat and Rocky. I've seen Disney, Dreamworks, etc using Maya on Linux.

I came to Rocky exactly because of Autodesk's Maya support here. Maya works great, much better than on Windows and the installation works literally the same way: double click the setup file and it installs everything.

My experience on Rocky/RedHat is that it's a very good distro. Very simple and quick installation process, solid distro overall. I thought I'd get an old version of KDE, but no, we're a little bit ahead of Debian Sid in this regard.
                I use Rocky for everything, work, study, gaming (Steam), music, videos, film.

The only program I'm missing here is SimpleScreenRecorder. Not enough to compile it, though.

Rocky has been working so great for me that I haven't felt the need to "distro-hop" at all.
                Last edited by Amarildo; 11 May 2024, 02:57 AM.

Comment

I used Rocky Linux for a time, but I found that CentOS stream works perfectly fine for the LTS use-case for me. Unfortunately running RHEL derivatives is very niche these days and most of the time it doesn't matter which distro you're running, as long as it has podman (or previously docker).

Comment

My experience is the vendor just listed the exact copy they used for their own environment, the person writing the docs had no idea what that even means.

And running the software on anything Distro MajorVersion.X will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X