Zed Code Editor Making Progress On Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motang View Post
    I am hoping we get a choice how we install it, either snap or flatpak. Please. I have multiple systems, one is predominately snaps, and the others are mixture of both flatpak and snaps.
    All you really need is a tarball. The rest can be generated by the people who want the additional functionality.

The first first things to add after that are probably .deb and .rpm

Only once they are reliably (and reproducibly) generated should generating Snaps, Flatpaks, and AppImages be contemplated.

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
      I am hoping we get a choice how we install it, either snap or flatpak. Please. I have multiple systems, one is predominately snaps, and the others are mixture of both flatpak and snaps.
      If you read the Zed blog post they tell you they’re making it only available as a tarball because, in part Linux fragmentation.

There’s nothing stopping you from making it into a Snap or Flatpak. It’s not Zed’s job to pull the Linux World’s collective head out of its ass and agree on a universal app packaging scheme. Like every major modern and mature OS. Windows, MacOS (based on Unix), ChromeOS (based on Linux), iOS (based on Unix). Only Linux has multiple ways to package an app. It’s not only madness it’s just plain stupid. And it hurts the ENRIRE Linux world. But Linux is ruled by Elon Musk levels of arrogance and elitism

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Have you ever used lapce for real ? It's unusable. Also, I really dislike its weird UI, and I am probably not the only one to think that.

Zed is much more mature already, and will likely be the new open source sublime text. And it's made with Rust too.
        I've used both Lapce and Zed on Linux probably 2 months ago. Lapce was MILES ahead of Zed. It wasn't even remotely close. I couldn't get anything done on Zed because it had no real integrations with any languages. Meanwhile, I could use Lapce for about 60% of my work, having had to switch back to VS Code for certain library support. But other than language/library support (which can be fixed with lapce's existing plugin structure if anybody decided to make the plugins) I could do everything related to my simple side projects on Lapce no problem.

As for the UI, you're the 2nd person I've seen complain about it, but it's UI looks entirely normal to me? File tree on the left, tabs and quick menu on the top, terminal on the bottom. What's weird about it?

I'm sure Zed will be great and I'm sure I'll use it once it's done, but it's development pace seems to be slow as hell and yet it's getting all of the media attention lol.

Comment

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post

You're talking as if it's still 2014.
          Nowadays we have a universal packaging format called Flatpak
          Also, Ubuntu LTS user (not geek!) should remember to create and log in to an "Ubuntu Pro" account to receive security updates for frozen "Universe" packages. So yes, Ubuntu is the way to go! /s
          Obviously you haven’t been in Linux World for a long time. There’s nothing that is universal in Linux.

Either you’re a IBM employee….( if you’re Red Hat….stop….you’re an IBMer get used to it )…..

Or you’re an anti-Canoncial troll

Flatpaks are demonstrably inferior to Snaps when it comes to engineering, composing, maintainability and security. Because of this Flatpaks are more performant on initial startup compared to Snaps but that difference is becoming more marginal as time goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            If you read the Zed blog post they tell you they’re making it only available as a tarball because, in part Linux fragmentation.
            They are just hoping that none of their readers knows enough about Linux to get away with an excuse that has been invalid for at least a decade.

Only Linux has multiple ways to package an app.
            Windows has multiple ways to package an app.

Some as atrocious as running an executable with administrator rights so that it can copy files into random places.
            Some don't even register with the system's software management system and are almost impossible to deinstall.

Comment

Flatpaks are demonstrably inferior to Snaps when it comes to engineering, composing, maintainability and security. Because of this Flatpaks are more performant on initial startup compared to Snaps but that difference is becoming more marginal as time goes on.
              I guess that Snap is used mostly on Ubuntu for multiple reasons.
              - Canonical aggressively pushes them (e.g., turn firefox, chromium and thunderbird debs into transitional installers ; avoid Flatpak support in both old and new UbuntuApp Center so users have to add GNOME Software etc.)
              ​- they're slower (especially something like LibreOffice),
              - they can be unpredictable (e.g., I've seen that after update OBS Studio Snap changed directory and the user could not save recording)
              - Snap experience is inferior outside of Ubuntu (please see article "Why Ubuntu is the only supported distro" by nextcloud-snap packager (2022-2023 years). At least Canonical recognizes that (e.g., Phoronix article "Canonical working on better cross-distro support for snap" this year).

On the other hand, Flatpak works the same way on most distros (including Ubuntu).
              Last edited by xAlt7x; 09 May 2024, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                I never used Zed, what are its main selling points against VSCode? I mean other than "no MS telemetry", while I absolutely share that concern, there is the Codium build that has the telemetry removed.
                Performance and memory footprint alone would be enough of a reason to choose a native application over an (yet) another copy of chromium (which is what Electron is). Other than that, Zed is supposed to have first-class support for collaboration.
                Last edited by intelfx; 09 May 2024, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Flatpaks are demonstrably inferior to Snaps when it comes to engineering, composing, maintainability and security.
                  That's some bold claims, which would require equally bold proofs. Could you please demonstrate that inferiority?

Comment

In fact I council everyone I meet who is interested in developing for Linux to just set it in their mind that when you think Linux you think Ubuntu and nothing else. <...>

<...> It’s high time to ostracize the wider Linux world from Ubuntu with the exception that the app you’re working on is more of a server, HPC, or like kind of app then of course make an RPM version for Red Hat and Suse. Otherwise let the twiddle geeks twiddle over to their console and twiddle with the tarball. They’re used to it by now as it’s a badge of geek honor.
                    <...> Or you’re an anti-Canoncial troll <...>
                    ​​
                    That's some gold. Dude, you are a Canonical troll

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

I've used both Lapce and Zed on Linux probably 2 months ago. Lapce was MILES ahead of Zed. It wasn't even remotely close. I couldn't get anything done on Zed because it had no real integrations with any languages. Meanwhile, I could use Lapce for about 60% of my work, having had to switch back to VS Code for certain library support. But other than language/library support (which can be fixed with lapce's existing plugin structure if anybody decided to make the plugins) I could do everything related to my simple side projects on Lapce no problem.

As for the UI, you're the 2nd person I've seen complain about it, but it's UI looks entirely normal to me? File tree on the left, tabs and quick menu on the top, terminal on the bottom. What's weird about it?

I'm sure Zed will be great and I'm sure I'll use it once it's done, but it's development pace seems to be slow as hell and yet it's getting all of the media attention lol.
                      Nope. I just installed it, and it still blows chunks, I can't use an editor that crashes all the time.
                      It also doesn't support image formats, plugins crash, the UI is just a copy of VSCode with dumb changes to look different.

Comment

Working...
                      X