GNOME Took In $556k Last Year While Spending $675.9k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
    Surprised their administrative costs are so low given the amount of people I see active. I suppose companies like Red Hat are the ones employing most of them
    Developers would be somewhat of a bad fit for the category of "administrative".

It doesn't look like the foundation has any developers on as direct staff members at all.

Comment

Comment

I must be missing something, how come gnome is big enough to warrant so much spending/investment? why does it even need conferences, who is the targeted audience of a linux DE conference lmao...
        No one wants to write gnome software, people wants to write linux software, why do they shill their ecosystem so much? that's clearly not what people want and it shows...

Comment

To be fair, we need to thank Brian Lunduke for raising this topic.

Gnome Foundation made a blog post after Brian Lunduke made a whole article about this topic

Comment

Originally posted by WalterCool View Post
            To be fair, we need to thank Brian Lunduke for raising this topic.

Gnome Foundation made a blog post after Brian Lunduke made a whole article about this topic

https://lunduke.locals.com/post/5572...rupt-in-1-year
            Gnome should stop giving a fuck about "community outreach" and doing conferences. That will instantly free them back into the black.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Gnome should stop giving a fuck about "community outreach" and doing conferences. That will instantly free them back into the black.
              They are out of touch as well. I did and assisted many conferences 20 years ago... but today we live on a different world.

I do assist some OpenSource conferences, and most (if not all) of them are online nowadays. You don't need to rent a place, pay travel fees and hotels to speakers and organizers. They have webcam support, ask a question features, recording... etc.

I hate to say this, but OpenSource projects are not really a very profitable business, so they need to be careful how to spend money. Pay more to developers instead of expensive conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post
                I think I may be the fool here but am I reading that GIMP got ~180k income, but they only spent ~36k on it?

I get that when you pool money it's not going to be 1:1 going back out, but GIMP has been in desperate need of love and I just see what could have been 2 full-time contracts which could have gone towards it.

Someone tell me I'm wrong, because I'd like to be wrong.
                It's not 180k it is 80k
                Still, the difference is quite big. IMO, anything less than 80% (~65k) would be too much money taken away from GIMP. It's one of the most known FOSS programs, and always on top of recommendations list

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  IBM bought Redhat 34Bilions dollars, that would kill them to support the user interface of what they bought multiple dozen of billions, getting them enough money to work in decent conditions???
                  IBM's way of doing business is to pay a lot to buy something and then squeeze everything they can out of it. They have to make a return on their investment right?
                  Of course because of that, there is no money to further develop the product and it usually slowly dies. And then a few years later they have to buy another one to replace it.
                  Last edited by N0dens; 08 May 2024, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
                    Wait, several years they fuck up power users targeting UIUX for touch screen and average users and now they want my money? How about "Go 4ck yourself"
                    Yes, I see it the same way as you.

I think they are just going around in circles. They invest money and time in areas that have little or nothing to do with the main project and that make the main project progress more slowly. And users look for something else because they want a good and round working system.

Some people would certainly donate something, but not if they keep encountering problems with use, or a UI/UX that is not very configurable and for pure mouse users as an example (like most people out there) pure GNOME is unfortunately terribly exhausting, especially because of the long mouse paths...

And I say this as someone who likes GNOME, is a part Linux user and a project manager. I like the minimalism, but even Apple understands that you have to make a compromise here and there, even if it has to be enabled in the settings.

I can only repeat what I have said in other posts: Background apps, shutting down with what feels like 15 clicks, minimizing windows? Fixing the dock left/right/bottom? Why are apps either on the dock or in the apps menu? Do you really use your system yourself? And have you ever tried letting your mother use the system?

A lot has come along in the last few years but it still doesn't feel like a common and complete vision for GNOME. It's nice that the boss is now good with money, that might be the right way to go, but only if they approach the project properly. It seems to work for Thunderbird too... Money, vision and know your audience...

Comment

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
                      Wait, several years they fuck up power users targeting UIUX for touch screen and average users and now they want my money? How about "Go 4ck yourself"
                      eh, having used GNOME on a touchscreen and keyboard and mouse I can tell you that GNOME is definitely targeted for the latter.

It's not good on touch screens, at all. On keyboard and mouse it's pretty good but some design choices are there that knowingly hurt the user experience and force people to use extensions (AppIndicators, broken Blur etc)

Comment

Working...
                      X