Dillo 3.1 Lightweight Web Browser Released After Nine Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    That seems like a design flaw to me. A browser without JS is pretty much useless these days.
    Certainly if you use social media platforms and stuff but for people that already speed up their browsers with noScript or µMatrix it is a very nice tool. There is no need for another JS-Browser, it's what makes the web slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Certainly if you use social media platforms and stuff
      You don't need to be doing anything fancy at all to need JavaScript for a site to work correctly. Just "stuff" alone is good enough.
      I guess if you have a use case for something like that.

Comment

First step if you want to distinguish yourself in this day and age and compete on at least some sector, don't use toolkits but import their code and optimize it so it is perfect for you, instead of being generic.

Comment

That seems like a design flaw to me. A browser without JS is pretty much useless these days.
          It's great for testing stuff. E.g. if your language apidocs won't work in dillo, the doc generator is simply piece of shite.

Comment

I just tried it. Holy fuck it is fast.

Yes, 80% of the pages a very broken and do not render correctly. But I already have a local caching DNS setup and for example wikipedia I could browser with no notable delay between clicks to page at all. Crazy.

Comment

You don't need to be doing anything fancy at all to need JavaScript for a site to work correctly. Just "stuff" alone is good enough.
              I guess if you have a use case for something like that.
              Yes most searches won't even work etc. I deactivate JS often, even with modern browsers and fast machines it's day and night and also catches all useless popup, flicker and ad stuff. Also with Dillo most texts on pages use the whole monitor by default, this modern web design really annoys me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly10r6m_-n8
              Most programing related doc is totally usable without JS, I would never use it as my only Browser (video is important too). Its a fast addition that never distracts me with anything. Also useful on old machines with a small screen.

There was a time Dillo couldn't even copy&paste and had no tabs, I still liked it.

Originally posted by Draget View Post
              ... for example wikipedia I could browser with no notable delay between clicks to page at all. Crazy.
              Exactly, it's how the web should be, only limited by you connection.

Comment

I totally read the headline as "Dildo." I think it's time for more caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post
                  I totally read the headline as "Dildo." I think it's time for more caffeine.
                  So you can read dildo faster?

Edit: I need more coffee. Misspelled 'So'
                  Hi

Comment

I still use it almost daily, because ClawsMail uses it for rendering HTML e-mails. The con is that it doesn't redirect to an external browser (actually it does nothing 😄) after clicking on a hyperlink in the message. I guess it's not a bug, and it isn't fixed in this new release.

Comment

So... out of Dillo, Netsurf and Ladybird, which one is actually usable for the "modern" web?

Comment

Working...
                      X