Wine-Staging 9.8 Comes In At 430 Patches, Fixes A 16 Year Old Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 9.8 Comes In At 430 Patches, Fixes A 16 Year Old Game

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 9.8 Comes In At 430 Patches, Fixes A 16 Year Old Game

Following yesterday's Wine 9.8 release that fixes a nearly 20 year old bug for installing Microsoft Office 97, Wine-Staging 9.8 is out today as the even more experimental blend of Wine that carries hundreds of extra patches that are going through a testing period toward upstreaming into the main codebase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey those old games need love too. People still play them.

Comment

Wine 9.8 != Wine-Staging 9.8

I though the same semver indicated Feature Parity but I recently learned that's not the case with WINE.

You'll find a lot more bugfixes and patches in Wine-Staging (which in my experience fixed a lot of rough edges around Wayland support in the past )
      Last edited by Kjell; 04 May 2024, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        Wine 9.8 != Wine-Staging 9.8

I though the same semver indicated Feature Parity but I recently learned that's not the case with WINE.

You'll find a lot more bugfixes and patches in Wine-Staging (which in my experience fixed a lot of rough edges around Wayland support in the past )
        Yeah. Same Semver means same base before the staging patches get added... which is really the only sensible thing, given that they can't be sure how long it'll take to get patches into a state that's ready for upstreaming.

Comment

i remember going and buying kanes wrath at best buy when it launched. god i feel old and i'm only in my 30s

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
            i remember going and buying kanes wrath at best buy when it launched. god i feel old and i'm only in my 30s
            Im only a few years older...and my first memories of video games ...2d. Consider this: 3d was an exception not the norm when I have played them first. This makes you feel old...especially if you play CB2077 with this contrast in mind

Its like when someone says when I was young there had been only horses no cars.

Comment

With this wine version winehq begin provide noble official packages:

In my case need this packages if you use staging, and install in this order

wine-staging-i386_9.8~noble-1_i386.deb

wine-staging-amd64_9.8~noble-1_amd64.deb

wine-staging_9.8~noble-1_amd64.deb

winehq-staging_9.8~noble-1_amd64.deb

back to improvements them add many commits related to wmv

Rémi Bernon:

mfreadwrite/tests: Do not accept MFVideoFormat_RGB32 in the test transform.

mfreadwrite/tests: Avoid using MFCreateMediaBufferFromMediaType.

mfreadwrite/tests: Shutdown the test stream event queues on source shutdown.

mfreadwrite/reader: Avoid leaking the stream transform service MFT.

winegstreamer: Set other aperture attributes on video media types.

winegstreamer: Always set aperture attributes on video decoder output types.

winegstreamer: Introduce a new wg_transform_create_quartz helper.

winegstreamer: Use DMO_MEDIA_TYPE in the WMV decoder.

mf/tests: Use a separate field for buffer_desc image size and compare rect.

evr/tests: Sync compare_rgb32 / dump_rgb32 helpers with mf tests.

mfmediaengine/tests: Sync compare_rgb32 / dump_rgb32 helpers with mf tests.

winegstreamer/video_processor: Allow clearing input / output types.

mf/tests: Move the video processor input bitmap names to the test list.

mf/tests: Add more video processor tests with aperture changes.

mf/session: Introduce new (allocate|release)_output_samples helpers.

mf/session: Get session topo_node from their IMFTopologyNode directly.

mf/session: Introduce new session_get_topo_node_output helper.

mf/session: Introduce new session_get_topo_node_input helper.

mf/session: Wrap samples in IMFMediaEvent list instead of IMFSample list.

mf/session: Handle transform format changes and update downstream media types.

Ziqing Hui:

winegstreamer: Merge video_cinepak into video field.

winegstreamer: Merge video_h264 into video field.

winegstreamer: Merge video_wmv into video field.

winegstreamer: Merge video_indeo into video field.

winegstreamer: Merge video_mpeg1 into video field.

winegstreamer: Implement mf_media_type_to_wg_format_video_wmv.

winegstreamer/video_decoder: Set input/output infos in h264_decoder_create.

winegstreamer/video_decoder: Change decoder attributes.

winegstreamer/video_decoder: Add wg_transform_attrs member.

winegstreamer/video_decoder: Support aggregation.

winegstreamer/video_decoder: Use video_decoder to implement wmv decoder.
              but in practice stay testing various games with wmv cinematics but dont appear changes in my case until now

almost forget on non directly related with wine, i ask about this for dxvk

D8VK is far more feature complete at this point than I believe D9VK was when it was merged into DXVK in 2019. There are still maybe a few dozen edge case games that haven't been fixed yet but every...

because show all tasks are completed and devs put this in this topic:

There is a goal of having it merged for the dxvk 2.4 release. Just needs to be reviewed beforehand.

Comment

Working...
              X