Nano 8.0 Text Editor Released With Modern Bindings Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

what do you mean? nano doesn't use filename:linenum, it uses "+128 testfile" to open testfile at line 128
    From the article:
    • To open a file at a certain line number, one can now use also `nano filename:number`, besides `nano +number filename`.

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post
      It's justabout what you learned. There is nothing intuitive about nano if you're somebody used to vim keybindings.
      Getting used to vi(m) is just on a whole different level compared to Nano. The learning curve on one (vi) is like hitting a brick wall face first while the other is something you can pick up in 5 minutes max (Nano). When I first started working on machines over SSH I first tried to get used to vi(m), found it downright impenetrable, tried emacs only to find it even worse before then settling for Nano.

Besides, you don't do serious editing of code in a shell. Trying to make a really good fully featured editor in a shell is like trying to make a really good square shaped peg to fit in a round hole. For any serious code/script editing you're going to use a proper editor on your end and either push the source files over the network or just copy the code into an editor, then compile/run it on the server end.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        I have been using nano quite a bit for coding in both C and PHP as well as other random stuff like 6510 assembly etc. It is by far my favorite editor. The 'modern' key bindings might take some time getting used to, but inn theory i am all for a uniform way of doing things. However at the same time I am thinking who the hell decided that Ctrl+C/V was sensible for copy paste. Ctrl+C are supposed to stop execution and Ctrl/shift+insert never hurted anybody anyway.
        Ctrl+insert and Ctrl+shift+insert require the use of the right hand, assuming your keyboard even has an insert key. That makes them incompatible with using the mouse to select text (for right-handed users).

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

image.png
          In this context anything above 2 MB is huge.
          I was going by the arch packages website. I checked just now on my actual arch install and it's only 4.4MB, while nvim (the vim that people actually use) is 13MB. 4.4MB is entirely reasonable for a significantly better editing experience, including mouse scrolling and selection even through SSH. Micro behaves a hell of a lot more like a full notepad.exe replacement than nano, and the vast majority of people do not use or want to use vim.

Not sure why you need an editor under 2MB anyway, are you installing modern Linux on a system with a 512MB harddrive?

Comment

Originally posted by Lachu View Post
            Hi.
            What if we would like to open testfile:128 instead of testfile and jump to line 128?
            I have no idea but the logical assumption would be to quote the filename I think. For example "testfile:128":128

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

That's what I'm using as well. The only downside I experienced was copy & paste from a system I was sshed into. But as far as I know that's my own fault and that could be fixed in some way...
              Micro actually has a full writeup for that in the "help" documents of their git repo: https://github.com/zyedidia/micro/bl...p/copypaste.md

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                So to use the modern keybindings you have to run it with the --modernbindings option which users not going to bother to do, especially newcomers. They should just use the modern keybindings by default.

Also what's this that nano has to be compiled with --enable-utf8 option, that is stupid, it is 2024, they should remove that compile-time option and always compile with UTF-8 support.
                Actually, on some retarded systems, it's very convenient to be able to build nano statically with as few dependencies as possible (utf8 requires a dep), and just copy your statically compiled binary in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

From the article:
                  sorry, had missed that this was a new feature. Looked at the actual code and no they have not provided any workaround so nano 8.0 cannot open files that have a ':' in them.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

sorry, had missed that this was a new feature. Looked at the actual code and no they have not provided any workaround so nano 8.0 cannot open files that have a ':' in them.
                    Not quite correct: It cannot open a file whose name has ":" followed only by digits. Any non-numeric characters after the colon and it treats it as part of the filename.

Still, not great. This wants a way to disable it, either in nanorc or maybe by making it so that using the pre-existing syntax (
                    Code:
                    nano +<line-number> file:000
                    ) disables it, which would be logical.
                    Last edited by Havin_it; 04 May 2024, 04:56 PM. Reason: Formatting bodge

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post

Navigating around with arrow keys
                      Just quietly boggling at the fact there exist editors where that is not how you navigate around. I sort of want to know what they do instead, but ... No. No, actually I really don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X